GKN Overdrive

Q for Quiet.

The disco t-box (or even the later Defender ones?) had a lower-noise gear-set in them.

Ashcrofts do the upgrade, amongst others. It's on my list of sensible jobs to do.

Q for Quiet.

The disco t-box (or even the later Defender ones?) had a lower-noise gear-set in them.

Ashcrofts do the upgrade, amongst others. It's on my list of sensible jobs to do.

BigSi110,

I guess you refer to the Discovery 1.22 transfer gear kit, is this correct?

Do you know if this gear kit (Ashcroft) comes with the cross drilled gear that eliminates the mainshaft lubrication problem?

Cheers

Santiago

Yep. 1:22 transfer case.

Not sure about the cross-drilled gear, though.

Better wait for a grown-up to answer that. I'd like to know too, but I'd always assumed it was a further upgrade.

BigSi110,

I guess you refer to the Discovery 1.22 transfer gear kit, is this correct?

Do you know if this gear kit (Ashcroft) comes with the cross drilled gear that eliminates the mainshaft lubrication problem?

Cheers

Santiago

no it doesn't http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/part_34.html but the cross drilled gear can be fitted seperately & your existing gear maybe already a cross drilled version.

Wetsern,

We answered at exactly the same time...

Mine is a year 2000 Defender 110 td5 with R380 gearbox, how can I know if it has cross drilled gear?

I've been told my gearbox is a latest version of the R380, it has oil cooling pipe comming out of the gearbox, if that help at all.

Cheers,

Santiago

take the round plate [6 bolts] off next to the transmission brake drum, slide the input gear off & on it's plain section you should find 2 holes, thats a cross drilled gear, the earlier non drilled was removed from build ages ago before the R380 came out.

photo below is my removed one, when I fitted the overdrive.

post-20-1210526363_thumb.jpg

You will have the cross-drilled gear as it was introduced with F suffix boxes in 1996. In fact, the only difference between the E and F suffix boxes is that gear.

Early R380s with the 300Tdi (like my 1995 model) had the E suffix box.

Yep. 1:22 transfer case.

Not sure about the cross-drilled gear, though.

Better wait for a grown-up to answer that. I'd like to know too, but I'd always assumed it was a further upgrade.

Have any forum mmebers done this? My old series 3 had a Fairey overdrive 21% gear up (I think) this made a big impact on mpg took it from 18 upt to 22mpg.

Could the 1.22 Disco T gears give similar?