CB Antenna Mounting?

Matt B

Breaker breaker, 10-4 good buddy, you got yer ears on, come back.

Ok got that out of my system... I got hold of my CB, found a gutter mount and pole, got myself and SWR meter and patch cable and stuck it all together with my Disco - that's where the trouble started.

I got an SWR reading of a high 3 so thought I'd trim my pole a bit - I now have an SWR of 10 so I've managed to knacker it. This means I need to get a new antenna. I had a shufty and apparently the bigger your pole the more popular you are with the ladies, no hang on wrong forum, the better transmission / reception you are likely to get. That being the case I want to get me a big pole, but I don't want to bung it on the gutter due to having it ripped off by rogue trees etc. I was wondering about mounting it on the rear bumper ot the rear door (spare wheel mount or such).

What have you guys done?

Matt

I was wondering about mounting it on the rear bumper ot the rear door (spare wheel mount or such).

Ph-narrr, ph-narrrrrrr.... big pole! :moglite:

IIRC it is much better to mount an antenna on a big flat area, like the middle of the roof. Something to do with reflecting signals? As it happens I have a stonkin great big roof rack, so can't do that. Instead I have a big clamp on the rear of the rack about a foot in from one side. Not has any antenna related issues :D

On the Rangie I had a big mag mount in the middle of the bonnet.

A quick search in the Discovery forum revealed THIS THREAD and others. You can't use the word CB, though, cos it's too short. Try 'aerial mount' in the search box and Robert is your fathers brother...

As Dan has said, the best place is the middle of the bonnet with a mag mount, but the a RR bonnet is steel so it sticks. Gutter mounts get wiped out the moment you brush past something and the roof mount isn't an option for me as it's ali...

HTH

Adrian

SWR the antenna so you get the best reading at the midrange of the channels (for a 40 channel rig that means channel 20). If the SWR is higher on channel 40 than 1 then your antenna needs shortening. If higher on 1 than 40 it needs lengthening. You can sometimes recover whips that are too short by adding a spring between the antenna base and whip.

Check for a good groundplane, connections, crushed co-ax etc.