craving some meat

gorgeous george

ok so my mates shabby landcruisers think they're so tough just because in the past year one of them slapped some 33" baja claws on his and the other blokes dad has fixed him up with some nice 35" all terrains. Then there's my little landy, which i love dearly might i add, with puny cheese cutters (which do the job fine might i add). But when they wear out soon im looking to get some monsters like my mates have. But a little bird told me my poor landies axles simply couldn't bear the weight of these tyres... I've heard of salisbury conversions and such which sounds great. So for those who have done it. how necessary is it before getting fat tyres? how costly? how much work? does it change your life? Any help would be great.

cheers

If you don't go much over 33" then you won't have to change anything -over that is where you start straining stuff too much.....

Don't get 35" monsters -remember you have no power steering, without this you will look like the incredible hulk after a week of normal driving on the road..... A series likes to wander on standard tyres, can you imagine it on 35" ones with stock suspension :blink::wacko:

Too big again and you start to lose steering lock which makes it WORSE off road.....

If you don't want a very complicated life for the sake of a set of big tyres, get soemthing equivalent to the old 7.50x16s from the LWBs, 235/85/16 is the metric equivalent I think, they are more than enough, and you will only have to adjust your steering stops a little bit to get them to stop rubbing.

standard series axles will struggle to cope with big rubber (33+)

standard RR, disco, defender axles are stronger - but that would raise your gearing due to the diffs (and bigger tyres would also increase ratio) and it will really struggle to move!

Salisbury axles were fitted to series, but they aint hugely common and easy / cheap to find. Also you would lose some diff clearance, but that would probably be made back up by having taller tyres. Also the diff nose is longer, so if its a swb series your props would be very short which could be an issue if you have a flexy truck with missing link shackles etc.

swings and roundabouts really.

Rear salisburys are common as muck, being under the back end of any LWB from late SIIa. Front ones are rocking horse poo and not especially strong.

If you can't join 'em, beat 'em - stick some land cruiser axles under it and have loads more strength and lockers for less money than upgrading Series axles. You can buy a whole rusty land cruiser for the price of a front Salisbury, and probably make some back selling bits off it.

yeah i'm running 7.50" by 16" tyres at the moment. i was hoping for some 33" and maybe twice as wide? haha. It must be the width of the tyres that put strain on the axles then? i would have thought you'd only need a rear salisbury... Also i was unaware people put landcruiser axles in these things?

n652006320_536054_9130.jpg

It's the height that does it, as it increases the torque applied to the transmission -where a small wheel would allow the vehicle to accelerate more quickly(or slip) as it is effectively lower geared, the larger one with need more power to get going -this is what breaks axles/halfshafts etc.

Also, large wheel = more grip = less chance of spinning the wheel in low range when most torques is applied. First gear + low range + big tyres + heavy right foot = bang :P

Think of it like a spanner on a nut - with a short spanner you stand less chance of shearing the bolt off than if you put a long breaker bar on and apply the same force to the end.

A lot of breakages happen when a spinning wheel suddenly finds grip - so if the wheel is bigger in diameter, when it grips there is more leverage and something will break.

Width of tyres does have an effect - a wider tyre often has more grip, and it also puts more strain on steering components, plus has more rotating mass for the driveshafts to spin. More mass = more momentum = more force to change the speed of the wheel.

Personally I would stick very close to 7.50's unless you want to either spend a lot of time on repairs or do a proper upgrade, either of axle internals or swapping axles. You can overcome a lot of things with good driving, picking a good line, and a little skill. Plus you have the benefit of having the smallest tyres, so when you drive something on 7.50's that your mate failed with 33's you can gloat even more :P