Fuse blown

Last week I lost my spots. Investigating today I found that the main feed 15A fuse to the relay had blown. This puzzles me a little since I would have expected the 7.5A fuses between the relay and the spots to be more likely to blow but both are still good.

As far as I can see everything looks OK at the relay and when I replaced the 15A they seemed to work OK.

I suspect this is telling me something but I don't know what, or could it simply have been a bum 15A fuse? Any sparkies out there might be able to shed some light?

Would very much appreciate a bit of guidance since losing the spots was an inconvenience. Losing the dips or heads would have been a lot worse.

Thanks.

I have three 70A relays (dim, head and spots) and a 6 slot fuse box (1 to each light) fixed to an alu panel (half a discarded external har disc cover in quite neat aluminium) that I bolted onto wing at front n/s of engine compartment sort of tucked in behind the air filter container.

Water onto the relay is a possible. I had considered using a sandwich box to put it in but it is all a bit tight for space. Right enough when it went it was raining cats and dogs and a lot of surface water.

Perhaps I need to try and see if I can find a way to get it covered in

post-1003-1198360546_thumb.jpgI put my fuses and wiggly amp things in the dry (sorry not much help to you now)

This is the type of thing you could consider fitting http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/searchBr...mp;cacheID=ukie

There are loads about and some more waterproof than this...

In the meantime, a rubber/latex glove and a lacky band is a start !

THanks Nic

I put the main feed fuses and busbar in the battery compartment so it is OK. I suspect I might even be able to fit a good strong poly bag around the panel. It has a nice right angle on the top to stop stuff dripping onto the electrics and I have put duct tape around the edges to cover any sharp edges so a heave duty bag held on with elastic bands might do the trick nicely since it would stop water spalshing up.

I will try to put a picture up tomorrow and then raid the cupboards to see what I can find by way of flexible rather than rigid plastic water protection.

Silly of me not to have thought of it sooner!!

Here is picture of my panel and as you can see there is not a nice shape to get a box fitted in.

I think as an interim measure I will wrap in clingfilm to at least stop big water splashes, which I think now is probably what did the damage.

I struggled to find anywhere where I could mount a nicely weatherproofed box and this seemed to be the bit with most room.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Malcy

post-3029-1198402613_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Thinking back I suspect water came in from underneath when I had to manouevre quite quickly into a temporary passing place on a single track road in the dark up north. I probably should have been going slower but I thought the other guy was going to slow down.

The temporary passing place turned out to be a temporary lochan and created a huge splash - my legs even got wet where I think it came in through the handbrake attachment!

So I think the idea of battery any corrosive goo is a super one but may also keep the cling film on - or at least for as long as it lasts.