oil light!!

Guest mortus

earlier today (boxing day) i went green laning in my 200tdi 90, all was fine i had plenty of oil, plenty of diesel, my dog, a spade and a tow rope.

then i realised half way down the lane my oil light was flashing at me...

so heres the problem... to beging with it was off... then after about a hour or so it just started to be on when i had low revs then after 2 hours it just stayed on no matter what revs i had, so i checked my engine for leaks etc- nothing

i checked the oil level again - normal, well it certainly wasn't low, too high if anything.

i did a hours more offroading and a 30 min trip home after this...

no clunks or whines, bumps or crunches

whats my problem?

why wont it go away?

i thought it might be that my engine had got too hot whilst running it in low box but i let it cool down and still the light is there.

w

ive just been back to it, and it seems to work as normal... asin the lights not on...

maybe it got a little bit wet with the big puddles i was playing in.

gonna have a poke about in the light tomorro :)

Agree with all above, sounds like dicky sender unit.

But...............

imho

Get it changed asap, buy a decent part, not el cheapo they fail for fun.

Without teaching granny to suck eggs, you really should investigate further if/when it comes on and just not carry on, it could be the one time its telling the truth.

... you really should investigate further if/when it comes on and just not carry on, it could be the one time its telling the truth.

When I used to work at a local Fiat, Lancia, Maserati dealer in Basingstoke many years ago, we had a customer with a Thema Turbo which suffered from repeated temperature gauge malfunctions. On his way down to Italy for his family holiday, he experienced what he thought was the same fault and ignored it.

Well, for the 10 or so minutes it took to grenade his 2.0L turbo intercooled motor anyway. Turns out a hose had split.

Sadly he was not bright enough to keep his ignorance of the high temp reading to himself and earned himself a bill of around 6 large for his troubles.

I've always remembered this story which taught me: -

1. Never to buy a Lancia

2. Never ignore warning lights

I am still however stupid enough to have bought 2 dreadful Italian motorcycles and am contemplating another.

There's no telling some people.

disco tony, a lot of those solutions sounded expensive :o

mine had a new 200 tdi in 8000 miles ago so it cant be the bearings gone i hope

a new sender is *hopefully* going to be the answer

Guest mortus

fitted a new sender today went out for test run, no problems at all

problem fixed

im going greenlaning today new years day down stanage edge and houndkirk moor :P

in a blue CSW with a snorkel

if any1 is up there make sure you say hello :D

earlier today (boxing day) i went green laning in my 200tdi 90, all was fine i had plenty of oil, plenty of diesel, my dog, a spade and a tow rope.

then i realised half way down the lane my oil light was flashing at me...

so heres the problem... to beging with it was off... then after about a hour or so it just started to be on when i had low revs then after 2 hours it just stayed on no matter what revs i had, so i checked my engine for leaks etc- nothing

i checked the oil level again - normal, well it certainly wasn't low, too high if anything.

i did a hours more offroading and a 30 min trip home after this...

no clunks or whines, bumps or crunches

whats my problem?

why wont it go away?

i thought it might be that my engine had got too hot whilst running it in low box but i let it cool down and still the light is there.

w

Now I know mine is a V8 but might help just the same. Went greenlaning in Wales about 2 years ago, we had all stopped in a carpark for a comfort break and upon returning to the nas noticed oil dripping on the ground, the vehicle was higher than the path and I had a good view of the underside. On inspection found that the oil filter had come loose and there was a slight leak. Tightened filter, checked oil level continued with the 'laning...................

On the way home about south of Talgarth pitch black and raining (well it was Wales) oil light came on. Fortunately there was a service station and shop just ahead so pulled-in and shut-down the engine. Plenty of oil in the engine, no nasty noises but I phoned Land Rover recovery who got me and the nas home a few hours later.

Next day in daylight all became apparent. At the last service a few weeks earlier, there is a threaded sleeve that screws into the oil filter block and the oil filter canister screws onto the same sleeve. The sleeve must have come loose when the old filter was removed and the only restraint was the new oil filter seal holding the assembly together. This then came loose and as the filter moved pushed against the oil pressure sender which on the V8 is next to the filter. LR had cabled the sender in a bizarre manner, so a quick mod, new sender, new filter and new oil did the job. So although the engine was fine the sender gave up the ghost on the way home and it had to be dark and raining :angry: If I had known that the sender was faulty I think I would still have taken the ride home on a trailer!

So check the sleeve tightness when you do a filter change, make sure the sender and cabling is positioned away from damage and ALWAYS stop when the oil light comes on.