noise wheen steering

JST

James that is a needle roller bearing that lives in the grease I would wager it isn't that one

They should be running in the Swivel oil , Grease may be the problem if it cant get through the small cut outs on the bronze thrust bush , If it cant get through it cant lube the bearing , Thats why I prefer oil in my swivels .

James , Naturaly I guess the CV`s will be getting a good checking over when your stripping off the stubbs .

If it is the cv support bearing thats gone , fit the new one with the Part number visible (facing to the diff )

Sorry dont know the PN .. No doubt Ralph will :D

if this is a front hub bearing try STC4382, Can't see any others that support the CV joint

Jase - got the link to Paddocks just after the oil seal mpn now as well........

i thought the bronze thrust bearing was for the older style stubs/cvs or would i need one of those as well? or just bearing as above and seal.

Well ordered the parts today which Exeter 4x4 had in stock and would deliver - what more could you ask fior!

any way MPNs in case anyone needs them are:

FTC861 - roller bearing as above

FTC840 (early 300tdi) and FTC 5268 (VA onwards) - oil seal

FTC56 - thrust bearing

i hate the bl**dy thing, maybe i should have got a Toyota?

anyway changed the roller bearing and seal in the f/n/s hub and changed the panhard bushes

Still there

it definitely only comes when driving - 20mph plus and turning.

its gets worse as the vehicle warms up

doesn't do it when stationary with the engine running and turning

sounds like something rotating inside something else catching.

could it be:

diff?

UJs? - surely if these it would do it all the time - ie when driving in a straight line.

its road speed dependent so i dont think its bushes etc.

i dont think its the pads as you still get the noise when braking and turning.

none of the bubs are warmer than expected after a drive so i guess that implies external to the hubs?

other ideas

errrr - its stopped making the noise now....... not sure if thats good or bad!

the noise started after the last use of diff lock and low range.

yesterday was the first time i used diff and low since it started and it has now stopped.......

it may have been the bumps that knocked whatever it was back into shape...... cant see that it was the centre diff, there was no windup.

I cant see it being the centre diff , they are usualy quite strong , apart from the cross shafts wearing , im in the process of changing mine for a one piece Ashcroft one .

Im thinking that the fault may be in the front diff , As it relates to the noise increasing when steering , If the cross shaft in the front diff is snapped or worn the hole oval its probably been somehow relocated or lodged itself rigid again since you have sent full power to that diff by engaging the diff lock in the T box .

Hence the niose stopping .

I would strongly recomend removing the front diff for a ruddy good check over .

Well still not found the old lady, there was an old man there looking for you though Steve that was about it!!!

the noise is yet to return.

today it was suggested by a LR mechanic that it could have been the central diff. in that it did unlock the last time i used it but not all the components (he named them i cant remember and having never looked at one dont know if this is feasible) came away from the diff which mean't that when i turned the wheel and centre diff started to distr. the power the part rubbed. when i next used low and diff lock and then unlocked it all it all disconnected properly. he said he had come across it once before.

me i dont know but it works at the moment.

Or that poor chap who owned the 90 in the car park that you were randomly crawling around underneath checking his bell housing configuration . :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

That was the funniest thing that I have heard in ages .

Yea, I think he was wondering what was going on! :D

You know James..... I have had the same symptoms (only happening when steering right above 25mph on the gas) since I did the DRD at Wellington.... maybe there is just something about that site? or.... you sneakily swapped axles while I wasn't looking...... as the date is about right according to your post :P

Done the same as you so far, CVs, wheel bearings and swivels all check out OK, I am beginning to think it is diff, will probably pop it out over the weekend... prop off to test first I guess though.... though that of course doesn't rule diff out completely! *sigh*

I guess you haven't had it return then?