Electrical help needed after 200tdi conversion!

Hi all

I finished a 200 tdi conversion on my 1988 90 (previously 19j) today, started it up all was fine and felt quite pleased with my self and then the problem came!

I put the head lights on and bought the 90 out of the workshop to take it for a road test then noticed the light on the dash with the choke symbol on was glowing dimley (if i turn the lights off the choke light goes off)

With the lights on if i rev the engine the choke light glows brighter and as the engine revs die down and return to tickover the headlights and dash lights go off for a second then come back on again this is accompanied by a clicking sound from behind the dials on the dash!

I've checked any wiring that i have moved but found nothing unusual and the 90 didnt have the problem before i changed the engine!

Has any body experenced this before or does anyone know what the problem could be?

any help or advice greatfull received as i want to get my 90 back on (and off!) road having fun!

Happy new year to you all

Rich

Guest diesel_jim

Definately an earth problem.

check the block & gearbox are earthed. can't remember is there is an earth through the main engine harness, so the block needs earthing.

you can never have too many either... you'll cause no problems if you bolt several onto the box/bulkhead/engine etc. and also onto the chassis (my 200di 90 had an earth bolted onto the bracket that supports the seatbox... cause major headaches when that got dirty and cr@ppy, until i found were it was, cleaned it up (and moved it actually) and all was well again.

I'd agree, check all your earth straps. My 101 decided to earth itself through the throttle cable a while back, embarrasing amounts of smoke ensued and one wrecked cable. Another favourite on older Discos is the handbrake cable acting as earth when the other connections have gone manky.