Gearbox woes...

Hi Guys,

I have just got the gearbox on the floor (finally) to change the rear main seal on the crank that was leaking slightly (for slightly read oil p1ssing out!)- now the daft question... Should there be any movement in the gearbox main shaft?- I can grab hold of it a wiggle it at the moment- I am thinking that this is bad? :huh: Gearbox was working fine- although in third gear I could hear a faint tapping noise that was not constant - sounded like a bearing may be on the way out but was only in third so I chose to ignore it! :ph34r:

Is my main box shot or is it something that either I can repair (I am fairly spanner handy!) or take to some where to repair? The box is in my 1992 200Tdi 90- the box is a recon and is marked 'landrover exchange unit'. I cannot be sure but I think it has done about 100000 miles ish.

So guys is it knackered... and if sowhat is my best way forward?

Cheers,

Shrek

I take it you mean the gearbox input shaft?

A small amount should not be a problem. If it has a lot then the input shaft bearing may be on its way out. This may also affect the bush in the rear of the input shaft in which the nose of the mainshaft sits. And the relationship of the input shaft gear to the layshaft gear.

Don't forget that the nose of the input shaft goes into the spigot bush after passing through the clutch driven plate so it isn't just free to flop around!

I take it you mean the gearbox input shaft?

A small amount should not be a problem. If it has a lot then the input shaft bearing may be on its way out. This may also affect the bush in the rear of the input shaft in which the nose of the mainshaft sits. And the relationship of the input shaft gear to the layshaft gear.

Don't forget that the nose of the input shaft goes into the spigot bush after passing through the clutch driven plate so it isn't just free to flop around!

I was indeed refering to the input shaft- sorry for any confusion... I was also forgetting that it would be held by the spigot bush- I was thinking that it would be floating with the clutch friction plate free to move around- Doh!

Any ideas on the third gear noise?- As I said it is not constant- It is like a non rythmical tapping kind of sound. Only ever in third and doesn't appear to be changed by drive/ over run?

Thanks again,

Shrek

just put it back together........ and go 2nd to 4th

Excellent plan James- twas the was the way I was most likely to go- only now I can blame you when it goes bang on one of your events!!

Seriously I cannot afford a new/ recon box at the moment so I think I will just have to put it back together for the time being and see how it goes... I have also just spent a while reading through the workshop manual about rebuilding the box- apparently it takes more than just a 13mm spanner and a big hammer- so that is me sunk!! :D

Shrek

If you really think there is too much play you might be able to sort it a bit (this is 20-20 hindsight as I have had my box out for a similar reason).

The input shaft has that nose cone thing, if you take that off (and note that the 8mm bolts go all the way through to the oil in the box, so empty it first) then the front bearing is underneath. (there is also a lower bearing, doubtless the race will fall out and make you panic like I did)

The race can be replaced with no fuss (I did that), but there is a washer/spacer to take up the free-play on the taper bearing. If you get a new one or pack this out you will adjust the free play on the bearing, just like the wheel bearings, which might help.

Sorry no dimensions, but if you have the box already out then this is an easy job. There are two part numbers for gaskets on it, they are the same shape, but no idea if they are the same thickness, I didn't check at the time and just used the one that looked right without opening the other one, so these two may be used to set the free-play, they are cheap though, about 74p each from LR dealer, so get both and see.

I really don't know if either of these adjustments will be worth it, but it might be worth a go.

If you have excess play on the input then the oil seal in that nose-cone will leak, but the bugger of it is, that the oil travels along the shaft and on to the clutch plate :(

hi

if your gear box is out you could take it to a gear box place theres 2 or 3 in this area see what the say if thay price the job too hi you can take it home and put it back in, and if your lucky thay'll say theres nothing wrong and go home and put it back in. or thay'll say 50quid and we can sort it(less likely).

Tim.