TD5 - Excessive amounts of water in my fuel?

Boot

Hi,

Could somebody kindly advise me as to how I could get water in to my fuel - inadvertently that is.

This evening while driving my fuel filter light has flickered on and off for some time. Owner's Handbook states this "indicates the presence of excessive amounts of water in the fuel" and to seek qualified assistance at my next earliest convenience (which would be now).

Before you ask... I know the price of fuel is ridiculous but no, I haven't been trying to water it down! :lol: Should I be looking at replacing the fuel filter? If so, I've checked the technical archive, is it as easy as it looks? I'm a novice when it comes to tinkering with the workings an' all.

1999 110 CSW TD5. 95k. 9k travelled since last service.

Cheers,

Gareth

Guest diesel_jim

It could come from condensation in the tank (yours or the filling station), and IIRC fuel does contain a percentage of water in it.

Td5 water sensors (mounted on the bottom of the fuel filter) are known to be troublesone... as such, the later Td5's don't have it, so you could just change the fuel filter and unplug the sensor.

Of course, it might be that you have got some water in there, so use the drain; on the bottom of the filter, the sensor can be partially unscrewed to drain off any water (which being more dense than fuel, will be at the bottom). THe filter is also mounted where it gets covered in crud, so check the intergrity of the electrical connection; open it, clean it, then reassemble with a smear of vaseline on the seal.

If it still plays up, you can replace the sensor (not expensive), or just ignore it.

as above try draining the water, if theres none in it, expect a faulty switch. if your is the original switch then its done well to last so long, IIRC that year 99/00 was the worst for it. i had 3 of them! ('99)

In the RAF, we used to have a poster on the wall showing a rather stupid-looking guy surrounded by railway wheels. The caption said 'Here is Fred the wheeltapper. They changed many wheels before he found out his hammer was cracked' I once changed the complete injection system on a Harrier because someone had stolen the bulb out of the electrician's test lamp and battery. :o It wasn't funny at the time.....

In the RAF, we used to have a poster on the wall showing a rather stupid-looking guy surrounded by railway wheels. The caption said 'Here is Fred the wheeltapper. They changed many wheels before he found out his hammer was cracked' I once changed the complete injection system on a Harrier because someone had stolen the bulb out of the electrician's test lamp and battery. :o It wasn't funny at the time.....

It's bluddy funny now though :hysterical: