Spot Light Wiring

Ive had some spot lights fitted while it was in for a service and the problem I have is the garage has wired them into the main beam of one of the vehicles main beam units rather than one spot to one of the vehicle main beam units and the 2nd spot to the other thus spreading the load on the system. Whats happening is, is that the fuse for the main beam is blowing.

Do people think this will stop happening if each spot goes to the correct side of the vehicle as opposed to the same one? :huh:

I dont believe it's the wattage of the lights doing this as thet aren't particular powerful ones, these are them:

http://www.roadking.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=416

Your spots shouldn't be wired directly to your main beam feeds at all.

They should be powered from a new fused supply, and switched by a relay. The relay should take its switching feed (which is low current) from the main beam feed.

If the garage has wired them up like that i'd be most upset, its very bad practice and could cause your stalk switch to fail, or worst-case-secenario cause a fire as the wiring is not rated to take another 140W (~12A)

You really should have extra lights fitted with an overide switch, so you can turn them off on public roads, and Baloo mentions below.

IIRC Luke has a wiring diagram in the Defender Forum IIRC, for this job & as both have said, those lights are not UK road legal, should only be 55w for on road use, then they can be used as additional main beam lights, but must switch off when you change to dip beam all wired/switched via a suitable relay & override switch if required.

Tim

You got a part no for the new loom. I now have an A bar fitted. Just got to source some nice lights now.

Regret not Mark ,, the lamps and loom fell off the 90 Silver :rolleyes::ph34r:

The dash switch is the same as in TD5 , loom comes up from batt box, to the front end underneath the car,, with a spur off to the centre console, then onto the main beam feed behind the instruments

Must have taken a quarter of the time, that making a loom up, when i did the Hybrid

I think I may have explained how they have been wired in incorrectly as they have used a relay, the reason I think the lights have been wired to one of the main beam lights is that when the fuse blows the spots stop working + one of the main beam lights whereas the other main beam stays on.

If they'd been wired in properly they wouldn't blow a fuse....

It's possible they've powered the relay from the main beam, as well as the trigger.

The Land Rover wiring kit for auxiliary lights on a TD5 (new dash)/07 is STC 53208. It costs about £90 as I have been looking at one for my new '05 90 CSW. In the end I bought the switch from my local LR dealer, got the connector plug from Heart electronics (link on 2002 dash conversion thread) and bought the rest of the stuff from VWP.

Total cost £30 and it looks identical to the LR job (switch illumination works as well)

Am doing one for a mate next weekend. For details of what to do please PM me.

Regards

Scrumps

The Land Rover wiring kit for auxiliary lights on a TD5 (new dash)/07 is STC 53208. It costs about £90 as I have been looking at one for my new '05 90 CSW. In the end I bought the switch from my local LR dealer, got the connector plug from Heart electronics (link on 2002 dash conversion thread) and bought the rest of the stuff from VWP.

Total cost £30 and it looks identical to the LR job (switch illumination works as well)

Am doing one for a mate next weekend. For details of what to do please PM me.

Regards

Scrumps

PM sent

I kept the genuine loom and lamps back from my last three TD5's and they're now fitted to my '07, doesn't have an override switch though.

The kit I quoted is for a TD5 with the latest dashboard. Sounds like yours was from the earlier (300TDi type) dash fit.

From reading previous posts I beleive it is now a legal requirement to have a method of switching th spots off when on main beam.

I will try and get hold of some more switch connectors. If I can do that I'll let you know how to moidify your system to be legal and look "genuine".

Scrumps

The kit I quoted is for a TD5 with the latest dashboard. Sounds like yours was from the earlier (300TDi type) dash fit.

Scrumps

Mark,, have seen new TD5's (ie 56 plate) with local :o dealer fit lamps, and no separate switch :(

as mog said,, a TD5 loom fits straight across

Mark,, have seen new TD5's (ie 56 plate) with local :o dealer fit lamps, and no separate switch :(

as mog said,, a TD5 loom fits straight across

Tim,

Check out the enclosed link under "defender" "accessory fitting instructions" and "STC 53208" and I'm sure it shows a switch!!!.

Whatever the dealers are fitting I don't know but this is what I have based my fit on and it works a treat.

Scrumps

Accessory Instructions

From reading previous posts I beleive it is now a legal requirement to have a method of switching th spots off when on main beam.

I will try and get hold of some more switch connectors. If I can do that I'll let you know how to moidify your system to be legal and look "genuine".

Scrumps

Thinking about it I think you may be right, the vehicle that the loom originally came from was one of the last of the earlier dash types but the last two were post 2002.