cam belt change- im so glad!

The crankshaft damper has 4x8mm threaded holes in it and these are what you use to draw it off. The holes are 75mm between centres, and you need a thick bar to take the pressure.

med_gallery_2_301_293447.jpg

The drill bit locks the injector pump shaft in the timing position - the inj pump sprocket can be rotated a small amount by slackening the 3 x 10mm head bolts around the central nut (don't undo that).

This is where the drill bit should go (I am using a timing setting pn in this picture)

med_gallery_2_301_116510.jpg

I used tippex just to make the instructions in the thread more visible - it's not necessary. The cam sprocket doen't get locked - you put it on it's timing mark and then don't move it between removing the old belt and fitting the new - although it might move a tooth or so, but you can put it back on it's mark by using a 21mm (I think) spanner/socket.

Les.

Thanks Les, very helpful

So just to be clear, when the TDC position is reached (ie crank key upright, cam mark in line) the fuel pump pulley SHOULD be lined up so you can slot the drill bit straight in to hold that cog?

Presumably there should be no need to undo the 3 bolts and move the cog?? (unless it doesn't line up with the 10mm hole? - but presumably you wouldn't want to risk altering the timing if you're a Tdi novice like me!?

Sorry to labour the point

cheers

Simon

Simon

Thats why I'm going to put mine in a garage for the cambelt change!

BTW saw else where you will be going to the HBRO trial a week Sunday - see you there I expect ................ in my green 90 truck cab with H14 winch on the front - introduce your self if you see me!

Steve

It's quite usual for the timing marks to be in the correct position, but the pin will not go in the inj pump hole - as the belt stretches - this is where the slack usually is. Crankshaft ketway in line with the arrow on the rear of the timing housing, cam sprocket also on it's timing mark and then slacken and remove the tensioner and belt. Move the inj pump pulley until the pin fits in the hole, slacken the three bolts, fit the new belt, and tension it. Re-tighten the three inj pump pulley bolts, remove the pin and turn the engine 2 revolutions clockwise back to the cam/crank timing marks. Re-check the pin goes in the hole and adjust again if necessary.

Les.

It's quite usual for the timing marks to be in the correct position, but the pin will not go in the inj pump hole - as the belt stretches - this is where the slack usually is. Crankshaft ketway in line with the arrow on the rear of the timing housing, cam sprocket also on it's timing mark and then slacken and remove the tensioner and belt. Move the inj pump pulley until the pin fits in the hole, slacken the three bolts, fit the new belt, and tension it. Re-tighten the three inj pump pulley bolts, remove the pin and turn the engine 2 revolutions clockwise back to the cam/crank timing marks. Re-check the pin goes in the hole and adjust again if necessary.

Les.

Ok thanks Les -so you effectively re-set the pump timing back to pre-stretch 'factory' settings

ID

Simon

There is a very good article on changing the 300 TDI cambelt on the www.difflock.com site.I found to actually fit the belt it was easier to line everything up,wedge the belt with a piece of soft wood between the case and camshaft pulley.With the three bolts just loose on the pump pulley, was able to rotate it clockwise to pick up the belt...saves having three hands!

Geoff