Dual Snorkels

geoffbeaumont

I'm planning on fitting a snorkel to my rangie before I put it back on the road (yes, I know, V8 with a snorkel - bit like a chocolate teapot), and I'm tempted to go totally OTT and fit a second one for the air vent. Well, it is a Range Rover. Doesn't do to get one's feet wet...

I've seen a few pictures of defenders kitted out like this, but has anyone ever done it to a rangie? Is it practical? What I'm thinking of is bringing it down the right hand side into the decker panel (mirror image of the the air intake one on the left), then along under the decker, hopefully behind the bonnet hinge and sealed onto the front of the ventilation system, with the original grill blanked off.

Comments?

On a more general note, advice on doing the engine air intake - what's the best approach? I'm intending to DIY it, partly because I'm on a tight budget and partly because all the decent commercial kits I've seen for the rangie have shiny pipes and I want black to fit with the rest of the truck.

As one of the other jobs to be done is fitting the (hopefully) nice, waterproof EDIS ignition, it (or maybe they) will get used in anger, so they need to be properly sealed up.

I've seen a few pictures of defenders kitted out like this, but has anyone ever done it to a rangie? Is it practical? What I'm thinking of is bringing it down the right hand side into the decker panel (mirror image of the the air intake one on the left), then along under the decker, hopefully behind the bonnet hinge and sealed onto the front of the ventilation system, with the original grill blanked off.

There is a Defender on the front of tis months LRO I think.

I am pretty sure there is not enough space under the decker to cross over there with the hinges, springs & wiper mechanism, plus you will restrict your fresh air flow.

After you take it through the decker panel bring it forward of the bulkhead and then there is enough room to do as you want. It will restrict your visibility on that side quite a bit more than the pax side.

Just about finished mine but I didn't take any pictures, never a photographer around when you need one :rolleyes:

You could seriously go for it by grafting a second throttle body onto the drivers side of the plenum if you have two snorkels B)

Edited by Niall_CSK

I'm not sure if there is room to bring it in front of the bulkhead - there's all the ABS and TC gubbins in that corner. I'll have another look when I get it back from Robhybrid.

I realised visibility would be an issue - in fact it's the one most likely to put paid to my schemes, as I'm not prepared to compromise safety - but I suspect it'll be no worse than a lot of thick-pillared modern cars. I guess if I had a less air-hungry engine I could run both inputs up the same pipe, with an internal baffle (bugger to construct though), but that's not an option with a V8...

Dual throttle body...mmm! Not practical with a venturi gas kit, although it'd be doable if I ever converted to LPG injection. I did actually toy with the idea of turning the plenum round as it'd be easier to get a nice straight pipe run on that side of the engine bay (ABS/TC permitting), but decided it was a bad idea.

I would be concerned about losing air flow to the fan. A snorkel is much, much smaller than the intake to the fan. I'm thinking you would need a 4" tube to get in the ballpark.

It's an old Range Rover...the fan doesn't shift that much air anyway! :P

Hmm, maybe sealing the intake off from the bonnet hinges and replacing the grill with a sealed blanking plate when I'm playing in water is a more practical approach. It'd certainly be a lot less work.

Dual throttle body...mmm! Not practical with a venturi gas kit, although it'd be doable if I ever converted to LPG injection. I did actually toy with the idea of turning the plenum round as it'd be easier to get a nice straight pipe run on that side of the engine bay (ABS/TC permitting), but decided it was a bad idea.

I am pretty sure a 55+ flexi will go forward of the ABS pump and just aft of the header tank as I tried it :D , thinking along the same lines turning the plenum around to get a shorter throttle cable & lpg hose. Then along came SGI and I forgot about that idea.

I am still considering making a dual throttle body with a box type filter hooked up to the snorkel, when I get around to MS the old AF meter can go along with the can of worms air filter which should give me a lot more space to fit other gadgets :D

Just for info I am fitting the Devon 4x4 (Aus) snorkel that a few of the other guys are using, won't be home till Jan so I can't post any pics.

Sorry blood just getting back to the brain after being upside down in a few fuel tanks.

You could go for smaller diameter pipe / hose than than the 55+ you will need for a single, 30-35 might be enough, without the aid of my air flow calc. that might make your routing and visibility issues a bit easier to contend with.

Of course if your are just going for Bling then you won't want to consider that option :D;)

Just for info I am fitting the Devon 4x4 (Aus) snorkel that a few of the other guys are using, won't be home till Jan so I can't post any pics.

You mean the one with the nice fairing over the pipe? I'd go for one of those if money wasn't extremely tight - truth is, if the rangie wasn't already forcibly off the road I wouldn't be doing any mods in the next few months. My finances need to recover from the hammering they've taken recently :(

Hi Geoff

Did you get the phonic wheel ok, i hear you are having a few problems with the old girl. you have more patients than me, i'd have chopped it up by now.

Geoff

Got it, fitted it, broke the engine :angry:

Cheers!

The wheel fits a treat, as does the coil bracket. Bottom bracket was a bit on the short side (courtesy of my measurements, not your fabrication) but I got it to fit solidly anyway - just ended up with a half moon out of the corner instead of a bolt hole at the back. Once I've got the new engine in it I'm going to crack on with fitting the EDIS and Megasquirt while it's off the road.

You mean the one with the nice fairing over the pipe?

That's the one, I know that sinking chequebook feeling :(

I still have some of the flexi that fits, you are welcome to it if that will help. I was thinking of making my own version of the same type of snorkel but with a moulded in lower profile head, Lord knows when I will get to that though. You could be a guinea pig :o

• 1 month later...

Been looking at materials for this project (jumping the gun a bit - haven't fixed the engine yet...). Anyone know where I could get 5" diameter plastic pipe in small amounts and at a sensible price? Seems to be the sort of thing that's only available trade. Oh, and it all seems to come colour coded by use, too. I am not putting a blue snorkel on my truck :(

As ram tops seems to be hard to come by I was looking at sticking an air precleaner on the end instead - found some that could be made to fit (haven't got the link handy - I'll post it later), but no prices. I vaguely recall someone on here saying precleaners on snorkels had been tried and didn't work out. Anyone know if that's right, and if so why they didn't? Seems like a great idea to me... :)

Oh, what range of flow rates would you get with an RV8? It'll have a 3.5 in for now, but the 3.9 (possibly something bigger, but that's probably a pipe dream) may well go back in in the future. I'm just thinking RR suited engines, so nothing that revs much over 6000rpm.

As ram tops seems to be hard to come by I was looking at sticking an air precleaner on the end instead - found some that could be made to fit (haven't got the link handy - I'll post it later), but no prices.

These looked about the best fit, and the supplier is in the UK. Have to ring up for prices if I decide it's a good idea, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah you can only get them for the lefthand side, that is why i've made my own. These origanally were not for sale, i was only going to make a couple but will see what happens. As for the cost, i have know idea as mine has not even been made yet and the fibreglassers have not given me a price. Will keep you posted.

I realise it may be a bit late, but here's a photo of dad's B&Q effort:

181205_177.jpg

They sell some cunning non-setting sealant which has been used to great effect :)

Nope, not too late - only fired her up again for the first time last weekend. Got to go back over to Rob's and finish the job off this weekend then drive her home. Unfortunately the MOTs up on the escruft on saturday, so I'll have to put her straight back on the road without doing all the jobs I was hoping to get out the way :(

The snorkel is still at the planning stage - although I do have one or two ideas :D Really need to get megasquirt on there first so I don't have to worry about routeing it through the air flow meter.

Yeah you can only get them for the lefthand side, that is why i've made my own. These origanally were not for sale, i was only going to make a couple but will see what happens. As for the cost, i have know idea as mine has not even been made yet and the fibreglassers have not given me a price. Will keep you posted.

Please do - I'm afraid it'll probably be beyond my means at the moment, but we'll see...

• 3 months later...

Well r/hand side snorkels are up and running, these are to match the Rangie Spares (Les Richmond Automotive) L/hand snorkel for those whop want to run dual snorkels. Pictures in the Aussie section under the what are you driving bit.

Emial me for more pics and info.

Damien

damien b

E-mail Address(es):

vern137@bigpond.net.au

Edited to add link to pictures: DEANO3528