EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION(EGR)BYPASS?

peter deer

Hi

i read a while ago ,that a few Disco owners had put an EGR bypass or simply put a plate between EGR and admission pipes.They claim that the inlet section is then much cleaner since there is no exhaust gas mixing into the admission ,:no oil, no crud

EGR was designed to reduce nitrous oxydes ,as was the priority in those times ,before fashion focused on CO2(who speaks about nitrous oxydes today ?)

I can see the benefit of having a clean inlet section and of ,incidentally ,reducing the heat in the inlet section ,but could there be unexpected disadvantages ?

So ,do you think EGR bypass is a good idea? would you do it ?

peter

I did mine approx 18months ago and I have to say that having cleaned out all the muck from the inlet manifold and intercooler it definately runs cleaner and smoother since, but my egr had failed, If it is working correctly the mod should not make any difference. This thread may help clicky here.

HTH

Pete.

I did mine approx 18months ago and I have to say that having cleaned out all the muck from the inlet manifold and intercooler it definately runs cleaner and smoother since, but my egr had failed, If it is working correctly the mod should not make any difference. This thread may help clicky here.

HTH

Pete.

Pete

interesting !

how did you notice the EGR was not working?

Have you noticed any change since you did the bypass(mpg,noise,emissions...)

Peter

I found a load of black sludge in the inlet manifold when I was changing the gasket, which had failed, and did a little research that basically pointed to the cause being a failed EGR valve. It was also quite smokey which got better after I blanked the EGR off.

I think that it improved the mpg and performance a little and the throttle response definately improved, It was not a major change but was noticable. As I said above it now smokes less on hard acceleration too.

Pete.

I would disagree with the fact that blocking/removing the EGR even when working makes no difference.

The EGR vents exhaust gas back into the inlet tract - that very exhaust gas is used to power the turbo. The EGR vents the gas back into the inlet at the very time its needed to cut NOX - thats also the very time you have your foot down hard on the loud pedal and you want full boost. So it robs the turbine side of power when you need it and it also dumps hot exhaust gas back into the inlet down-stream of the intercooler which serves to heat the charge air back up again loosing density as it does so, robbing you of power in the process.

So I'd reckon that adding all of that lot up, you should notice a slight difference - I know I did and there was nowt wrong with my EGR when I removed it completely 3 years ago.........

Still these are landrovers we're on about - anythings possible eh?

The Egr will only come in when your cruising at a steady speed unless its broken. I remove mine and de gunked my inlet and noticed a difference but i dont think my egr worked when i got mine

a lot of the crud from a 300tdi is aslo oil and fumes coming from the brather pipe this is what gets in inlet and intercooler been runing my one nearly a year with no egr but still gets crud in cooler and inlet

Whilst I agree that some muck comes from the breather, in the 18 months I have run mine with out the EGR I have not had any significant build up in the inlet manifold (the metal work is still silver in colour but a little bit oily, where as with the EGR in place (admittedly over a longer period as I don't know when the valve failed) the crud build up had reduced the diameter of the opening in the inlet by some 12mm.

Pete.

Here is a schematic of the EGR valve circuit. The EGR valve is only meant to open on the over-run i.e. foot off the throttle and is intended to reduce emissions by recirculating some of the exhaust gas back through the engine. The EGR should be completely closed under load and therefore no gas should pass through into the engine.

The direction of flow is such that there should be no build-up in the intercooler. If there is oil in the intercooler then it's more likely to come from the turbo bearings.

The problem is that the EGR valve sometimes sticks open or leaks causing loss in power - hence you need more throttle and the engine smokes. One the Saab I owned previously, (3.0 V6 tid) the EGR valve was mounted in the V of the engine and cost £750 to replace at dealer rates of £500 by an indie :blink:

post-5965-1200515914_thumb.jpg

I only cleaned the intercooler on mine as I had it off the vehicle anyway but did it at the same time as the EGR removal and inlet manifold cleaning. As comical says the intercooler should not get muck in it from a failed EGR.

In fact the intercooler on mine was actually fairly clean but every little helps. B)

Pete