I'm building a Range Rover hybrid, 2WD/4WD, FWH Nissan 4.2 Diesel

willfromsussex

Okay.. Started to clean up and do the welding to the rear axle (shock brackets etc). One of the splash shield bolts broke off, and I decided to pull out the halfshaft to get to it so I could drill it out. Oh dear, this resulted in a load of rust falling into the wheelbearing, meaning we had to strip the shaft down to clean and repack the bearings. They are a semi floating design shaft (double taper roller bearing).

I had to make a tool to undo the massive nut then borrowed a press to get the rest of the bits off . Anyway, bit of fresh grease for the first time in 20 years can't hurt. Got bolt out with stud extractor, reassembled and welded on the shock mounts , aligning them to a jig I knocked up earlier. Ground off Patrol panhard rod mounts etc.

rt-halfshaft.jpg

Got the spash shields blasted but they turned into swiss cheese meaning welding. Then primed and painted them.

rt-splash.jpg

Axle mounts and spring perches installed, sent for sandblasting, back from blasting, primed and painted in 2 coats of 2K black.

rt-axlemod.jpg

Splash shields, Pipes, calipers refitted, and we're going to put the wheels on so we can roll it into place tomorrow. Axle is very heavy!

rr-rr-axle-parts-fitted.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Will, what's the score on your interior? As much period RR as possible or does the 4.2 need its own dash/instrument cluster?

It's things like this that give me hope for rebuilding mine by next winter! best of luck! :)

Are you just waiting for the tax and test to run out? I kinda wanna see a CSK undressed ph34r.gifbiggrin.gif

stock seats,headlining , door cards etc, but putting a 1989 heater and dash top (better heating and ventilation) but using the patrol instrument binnacle thing and all patrol switches. (whole wiring harness patrol) Will need to box in the instruments properly at later date.

no luck at rover guy, anyone got an arm?

Working on goalpost and rear crossmember

rt-goalpost4.jpg

Making some repair pieces for bottom of goalpost

rt-goalpost14.jpg

Welding new crossmember in . Also replaced some rusty metal on rear inner arch.

rt-goalpost15.jpg

applying new butyl seal to goalpost

rt-goalpost51.jpg

Back in, and stonechip paint / primer

rt-shell11c.jpg

rt-shell13.jpg

Also been slicing and dicing an old intercooler to get it to work on this car, had a piece of tube turned locally , I cut it and the end tank of the intercooler and made a filler piece then got it all tig welded in by another (awesome) local place.

rt-intercooler.jpg

putting the inner wings back on

rt-iw-adj2.jpg

Testing intercooler placement ready for making mounts

intercooler11.jpg

Yes everything except some small bits (brake boosters, springs, brackets) is 2K paint. I am putting waxoyl between all the parts as I assemble it too, takes a bit of time and mess but I want it to last. I have also engraved most of the parts of it , even inside where you can't see it or grind it off, just incase it ever gets stolen, oh and a few RFID chips and a tracker and custom immobiliser going in too just for belt & braces.

I am rubbish at painting (no patience for all that prep) but I'm not going for concours vehicle, its strictly functional and I don't care about some runs etc. Its got to last me though, I can't see any reason why I won't still have this in 20 years time by which time it will be 60 , so like owning a 1952 car now, (ancient!)

My Dads Land Rover is a '56 and it works fine.... most of the time :P

I saw on Retro Rides you were looking at bigger tyres? 31" tyres will fit nicely on stock height, but they'll rub a lot off-road, or with a 2" lift they won't rub too badly - Seems to be the default RTV setup that :) Not sure about 33's though, but with the weird weight distribution on this one borrowing some to trial fit sounds sensible :) Just don't, after all this, cut the arches :P