Welder

Dariusbez

I've heard about guys modifying an alternator to act as a makeshift welder as well as still acting as an alternator (not heavy duty but can really get one out of a spin in the bush). Does anyone know how this is done, as my knowledge of electrcity is dangerous - I need to do a little research before doing something like that. Anyone done a mod like this yet, how well does it really work? Sorry, hope its relevant - living in Africa u sometimes need to make your own plan :rolleyes: - last trip in a landy we ended up having to stick strips of the carpet to the clutch so we could get home (pratleys steel worked wonder - and no I am not paid to say that); we took 3 hrs on the road to do that job (f&*$@n hot!), but it drove another 450 odd km where we could change the clutch properly - ha ha.

So, any help would be appreciated.

Another project Im interested in is a compressor system using and aircon pump and some tanks (dive bottles or fire extinguishers or something) havent really checked whats the correct spec yet, but its fairly simple to do. A friend of mine runs a aircon pump on his landy just for emergencies, reckons itll inflate a big tyre in no time! Would be cool to be able to run pneumatic drills/grinder/rivet gun and be able to weld while travelling hey - to help the guys in land cruisers of course :lol:

Have never seen any plans to modify an alternator to become a welder, but they are available commercially. Another way to go is to use 2 or 3 batteries and a stick welder rather than an alternator... neither of which I have tried, but have always fancied the onbaord welder idea.

On board air, using an aircon pump, is covered pretty comprehensively in the tech archive.

Basically, all you need to do is replace the regulator with a new voltage regulator that regulates to a higher voltage, rather than 14.4 (changing the closed-loop set point, effectively)

or fitting a 'battery sense' type regulator, connecting the sense wire for battery charging, and disconnecting it for welding(forcing it open loop, the regulator will continue to increase the output voltage). In both cases the max current from the alternator will be exactly the same as it always was - so you need to fit a big alternator.

In both cases, you need to upgrade the rectifier as at the higher voltages it'll burn out.

The thing is, there's no off the shelf bits to do it, as far as i'm aware, so you'd have to sort it all yourself.

DIY DC TIG

Arc welder

More info

Google is your friend.....

• 15 years later...
On 1/18/2008 at 11:40 AM, Dariusbez said:

I've heard about guys modifying an alternator to act as a makeshift welder as well as still acting as an alternator (not heavy duty but can really get one out of a spin in the bush). Does anyone know how this is done, as my knowledge of electrcity is dangerous - I need to do a little research before doing something like that. Anyone done a mod like this yet, how well does it really work? Sorry, hope its relevant - living in Africa u sometimes need to make your own plan :rolleyes: - last trip in a landy we ended up having to stick strips of the carpet to the clutch so we could get home (pratleys steel worked wonder - and no I am not paid to say that); we took 3 hrs on the road to do that job (f&*$@n hot!), but it drove another 450 odd km where we could change the clutch properly - ha ha.

So, any help would be appreciated.

Another project Im interested in is a compressor system using and aircon pump and some tanks (dive bottles or fire extinguishers or something) havent really checked whats the correct spec yet, but its fairly simple to do. A friend of mine runs a aircon pump on his landy just for emergencies, reckons itll inflate a big tyre in no time! Would be cool to be able to run pneumatic drills/grinder/rivet gun and be able to weld while travelling hey - to help the guys in land cruisers of course :lol:

mobile welding atlanta

i am trying to make a welder from an alternator.i have a bridge diode,and a circut board made to control up to 150 amps.does anyone have an idea or drawing as to how to hook up field power.all of the ones i have read about control current by engine speed or by adjusting voltage going to field.i want to control amperage with circuit board after 12 volts is applied to field.will this work? would i also need an on-off switch on field supply wire.i have read almost every welder alternator write up on the web,most are onboard welders and i want mine to be portable with a seperate engine driving the alternator.i have a 13 hp engine that i will be using.does anyone have a drawing or could make up a drawing with every detail included as i don't read electrical drawings well.Thank-you