Advice on carbs for v8

wkw90

Just starting to rebuild my 3.5 v8 and both the su carbs need a overhaul, so got to thinking maybe i would go the way of a webber or holly any feed back would be very helpful

Thanks

The SUs you have now are far better off road than either a Holley, Webber (tried one - inc the Off road kit on it - hopeless on big slideslopes) or the Strombergs sometimes fitted to other V8s.

Carb wise you have the best all round carb esp if you wnat to use it off road.

Other options are either to fit a EFI system, hotwire or Flapper or of course you could always Megasquirt it :rolleyes:

HTH

Nige

Just starting to rebuild my 3.5 v8 and both the su carbs need a overhaul, so got to thinking maybe i would go the way of a webber or holly any feed back would be very helpful

Thanks

I had a Holley on mine for a while - it drank a serious amount of juice, regardless of how it was tuned. :P It was also rotten on steep slopes. (Commonly known).

Think ahead to how you are going to fuel the thing in the future... If you are contemplating LPG, then save the cash and don't buy a single carb and associated manifold - stick with the SU's as Nige suggests or go injection. LPG is easy to fit on SU's or Strombergs as you put mixers in the alloy elbows and the overall setup is fine. Its harder to put on the single carbs because you need to restrict inlet air to get the pressure drop required to draw the gas in.

You could always get a scrap inlet manifold and cut it up, put an adapter plate on it and get an old single carb off a V6 Ford - I've seen a couple of them and they went well.

A mate of mine has the ford carb (webber 38 d-gas??) on his trialer and its very nice, tickover is ultra low, throttle response is face ripping and it revs its t1ts off, doesnt seem to suffer on side slopes either.

evidence can be found here, here and here.

will.

If you must have carbs, stick with the SU's, you should be able to find a good pair for not much if you can't be bothered to rebuild yours.

I've had a holley and a weber and both were pants, the holley was just an unreliable PITFA. The weber was brand new and set up right for the engine, while it went very well it may as well have been a hosepipe down the inlet manifold :lol: it stalled on side-slopes and the mixture screws loosened themselves in a few days' driving or an afternoon's off-roading.

I fitted a stock Flapper EFi system and it went much better than £500 worth of Weber 500 and sexercisey manifold. Then I fitted MegaSquirt and it went even better :P

A mate of mine has the ford carb (webber 38 d-gas??)

will.

Hi Will, it is the d gas on Andys (Haggis's) trialer.

I know Andy quite well (as you know), he does set up a very trialer well, we have had our moments on setup arguments around the camp fire!

The carb works perfectly well for on his setup, I know its powering a 3.9, but the motors weigh less than a 50 pence piece, I think his last blue one weighed in at circa 850Kg?

I mention the above, as a question to the ability of the dgas on a full bodied (heavier) motor, I ran the Dgas on my 3.5 comper and must admit it never ran out of juice, but it was only a bog standard 8.35cr 3.5 circa 1979.

A further note on the dgas is they are getting relatively rare now and require a reasonable amount of modding to the inlet manifold - to some it may not be do-able.

Go for SU's, set up well they are good to go. , like FF have had the big yank buckets on top, spent weeks setting it up, just to go back to trusty SU's.

Yh its andys motor rog, as you know mines a tdi and his is the only v8 i have driven so i know sweet FA about them :lol:

I think his blue one is circa 950 but suzis pink one is about 800 due to the shorter wheelbase i beleive. (his truck, two motors, spares (how many F diffs!! :lol: ) and tool box come in about 7200 i believe including fuel)

Goes like stink tho dunnit B)

Will.