Defender swivels -no drain plugs?

Defender front swivel housing.... Haynes show a filler (top), level hole (middle) and drain (bottom) on the front of the swivel housing.

On my '97 Defender I can only find that seems to be the top one, whch I guess is a filler/level?

Question is, how do you drain them to replace the oil? - did they phase out the drain plug?? Is the level plug somewhere else?

Yours confused

[quote nam

sounds like they are the one-shot grease ones...

That explains a lot... so are these sealed CV joints pre-loaded with their own grease? - or do you fill the swivel through the hole, or something else? Presumably any gunk coming out is a mixture of grease, mud and water then?

Looks like I need an updated Haynes manual, mine stops at 1995 and my Landy was built in 1997..

[quote nam

sounds like they are the one-shot grease ones...

That explains a lot... so are these sealed CV joints pre-loaded with their own grease? - or do you fill the swivel through the hole, or something else? Presumably any gunk coming out is a mixture of grease, mud and water then?

Looks like I need an updated Haynes manual, mine stops at 1995 and my Landy was built in 1997..

You buy one shot swivel housing grease and then squirt it in through the normal filling hole- it generally comes in large plastic sachets with a piece that forms a tube on one end- cut the end off and squeeze away!

Shrek

Swivel grease is 'fit and forget' - unless you get a leak of course!. If you have the grease leaking out, then add some engine oil to the swivel housing and go for a short drive. Remove one of the lower swivel pin bolts and the filler plug and allow it to drain down - a few hours is good. Re-fit the bolt, then put one tube of swivel grease in the housing and replace the plug.

Les.