No power at all for 10 seconds

sotal

I'm not sure if this is a problem or the start of something or nothing to worry about, it's one of them where it doesn't really matter just wondered why.

When I start up the disco in the morning, if I put it into D or R (depending on which way I'm facing) and try to go, it doesn't do a lot, I just have to wait 10 seconds or so then it's fine. The drive is sloped so it does have to go up hill but it pretty much refuses to budge, if I try to make it go then it smokes a bit and moves slowly.

I've taken to starting up then putting my seat belt on, wait a few seconds then into gear and go and it's fine.

Is it just something they do or is something wearing out?

My wife's previous car did exactly the same - that was a peugeot 1.9 diesel.

check the ATF fluid, sounds like it's low. what sort of mileage has it done? could be due for a filter and fluid change in the box

There is some evidence that changing the oil and filter can be a bad idea. Ashcroft FAQ link the last one relates to gearbox oil changes, Although I found I had no problems having done mine.

Also surely if the ATF was low it would be sluggish to take up drive rather than being slow to move?

Pete.

the ATF fluid is used by the torque converter (IIRC) to take up the drive, if the fluid is low, then drive take up will be slow, shifts will be rough etc....

as for changing the oil, you could say the same about changing the engine oil, newer oils are detergent types, and so could, in theory, dislodge some particles, leading to pump failure

The original post states that if he tries to make it go the engine smokes but not a lot happens which i took to mean that it was in drive but had no power rather than not going into drive and thus not moving.

I would agree that if the fluid was low it would not shift well. Mine does exactly that when the level drops (it has a small leak on the output shaft to the transfer box) but if I try to rev the engine it doesn't struggle and smoke, it revs and then harshly engages drive and then moves normally but with harsh(er) gear changes.

Pete.

I'm not sure if this is a problem or the start of something or nothing to worry about, it's one of them where it doesn't really matter just wondered why.

When I start up the disco in the morning, if I put it into D or R (depending on which way I'm facing) and try to go, it doesn't do a lot, I just have to wait 10 seconds or so then it's fine. The drive is sloped so it does have to go up hill but it pretty much refuses to budge, if I try to make it go then it smokes a bit and moves slowly.

I've taken to starting up then putting my seat belt on, wait a few seconds then into gear and go and it's fine.

Is it just something they do or is something wearing out?

My wife's previous car did exactly the same - that was a peugeot 1.9 diesel.

Mine: 300tdi auto; in the mornings she starts, I shift it to D or R and same as yours I rev but go nowhere for 10/20 secs then she starts to creep up to power.

for first half mile she wont shift out of 1st gear, I have to continually try to kick down until she finally engages normally, then after she behaves her self.

last week I topped up the tqf ( which is a PITA) as you need to do it when cold filling via dip tube and wait in between fills for TQF to drain out of tube to avoid false readings, its easy to over fill.

Anyhow now filled correctly but still has a lag in the power delivery and still wont shift for first half mile or so. No abnormal clunking

these issues did not appear until after filter and TQF oil change. Dont you just love LR's :wub:

It's only the first thing, it feels like it has gone into drive, but feels more like the engine has no power - the revs don't rise.

After I have set off it changes gear perfectly - infact it's one of the smoothest auto boxed 4x4's I've ever driven (that only includes a shogun and a land cruiser - which both felt dreadful when they changed)

The transmission fluid is fine too, also when leaving work on the flat at the end of the day it's fine (although maybe a little warmer). It just seems like it won't get up the slope of the drive. It doesn't feel bad like it's struggling or anything - just doesn't feel like it wants to move - it's probably another edc "feature"

It's only the first thing, it feels like it has gone into drive, but feels more like the engine has no power - the revs don't rise.

After I have set off it changes gear perfectly - infact it's one of the smoothest auto boxed 4x4's I've ever driven (that only includes a shogun and a land cruiser - which both felt dreadful when they changed)

The transmission fluid is fine too, also when leaving work on the flat at the end of the day it's fine (although maybe a little warmer). It just seems like it won't get up the slope of the drive. It doesn't feel bad like it's struggling or anything - just doesn't feel like it wants to move - it's probably another edc "feature"

My 300tdi auto has always done this despite gearbox filter & fluid change. My drive is also sloping. To get to the top on a cold start I put it in low range and up she goes!!!!!

I think you are expeiencing "it's normal with a land rover sir"

My 300tdi auto has always done this despite gearbox filter & fluid change. My drive is also sloping. To get to the top on a cold start I put it in low range and up she goes!!!!!

I think you are expeiencing "it's normal with a land rover sir"

That was my conclusion, just thought I'd check before it busts and I get blamed for not doing anything about it. The peugeot which did exactly the same thing was a manual so in my head I had ruled out the transmission.

The focus diesel is fine though and so is the series 2A