Rear Crossmember?

I'm going to bite the bullet and change the rear crossmember. Its not totaly rotten yet - but after a real good poke and bashing with the hammer to remove all the rust it's not as strong as I'd like it to be. I'd only be putting of the inevitable if I patch it now.

It was on the to do list when I bought the truck anyways.

Question for all those in the know!

I beleive that the spi one is one of the better made ones :unsure:

My local supplier won't sell me one as he wants to keep his stiock for his own workshop to consume :( But I'v found another one - but the vendor is unsure if it'l suit my truck - he's only fitted to a 90?

Is there a difference between a 90 and a 110 one, I need a 110 version. The chassis isn't bad enough that I'll need the extra long extensions, std short oness will do. Heres the photos

post-5554-1201278220_thumb.jpgpost-5554-1201278233_thumb.jpg

Cheers again.

Steve

That looks like one for a 90, 110's doesn't have the lower var between the legs, as it would stop the fuel tank being fitted/removed.

IIRC the Bearmach one is probably the best their part number is

BR3398 --- rear cross member for 110 with extensions

BR3399 ----- rear cross member for 90 with extensions

That looks like one for a 90, 110's doesn't have the lower var between the legs, as it would stop the fuel tank being fitted/removed.

IIRC the Bearmach one is probably the best their part number is

BR3398 --- rear cross member for 110 with extensions

BR3399 ----- rear cross member for 90 with extensions

110 does have bar across, but you have to cut it out before full reassembly. i think it is to prevent distortion in transit/fitting. its only tack welded on.

however...body mounts are diferent. normally with a 110 one you will not get the body mounts. 90' have wee ones as shown in the pic, 110's have longer ones further up towards t'other end of chassis, so you have to cut off then weld back to the new crossmember 1 leg of each body support. think carefully about your cable and fuel line routing before finally fixing the new on into place otherwise they can cause headaches.

if you have the time/equipment, take time to fully weld all the seams and blank off as many of the rust traps as you can. the crossmembers are a carp design and i can't believe they are still made in this way...can't belive people keep buying new defenders.

I'm going to bite the bullet and change the rear crossmember. Its not totaly rotten yet - but after a real good poke and bashing with the hammer to remove all the rust it's not as strong as I'd like it to be. I'd only be putting of the inevitable if I patch it now.

It was on the to do list when I bought the truck anyways.

Question for all those in the know!

I beleive that the spi one is one of the better made ones :unsure:

My local supplier won't sell me one as he wants to keep his stiock for his own workshop to consume :( But I'v found another one - but the vendor is unsure if it'l suit my truck - he's only fitted to a 90?

Is there a difference between a 90 and a 110 one, I need a 110 version. The chassis isn't bad enough that I'll need the extra long extensions, std short oness will do. Heres the photos

post-5554-1201278220_thumb.jpgpost-5554-1201278233_thumb.jpg

Cheers again.

Steve

The 90 SPI crossmembers have the body support bracket as in the pictures, the 110 does not. If you have a 110 I have some of the SPI ones left no 90 one though.

Simon