Missing Levelling unit

I'm about to start re-assembling my vehicle (85 110 dbl cab), when i was stripping it I found out that the levelling unit was not installed to the rear a-frame on the axle (not sure if that's the right name). The springs were replaced all around by the previous owner.

Do I need it on the vehicle? Is it possible to remove it with uprated springs? If it's not installed how does it affect the vehicle, load carrying, handling, etc?

Any advice or info would be great,

Thanks,

Tracy

All the leveler does is restore the rear of the truck to it's normal height when it's loaded, and that's when they are not broken.

It doesn't affect handling, so generally, you don't need it.

If the previous owner removed it, then they probably fitted heavier springs to compensate for it not being present.

All the leveler does is restore the rear of the truck to it's normal height when it's loaded, and that's when they are not broken.

It doesn't affect handling, so generally, you don't need it.

If the previous owner removed it, then they probably fitted heavier springs to compensate for it not being present.

Thanks Gromit,

The new springs are black with red marks on them, tried to figure what rating they are using the land rover chart, that didn't work so I suspect they are after market.

T

Guest diesel_jim
Thanks Gromit,

The new springs are black with red marks on them, tried to figure what rating they are using the land rover chart, that didn't work so I suspect they are after market.

T

110 springs with just red paint (actually there should be 2 red stripes) are HD "non levelled" (ie, no broken boge strut) drivers side

part number NRC6389, 330lb rated, 407mm free length (16"), with 8 coils.

Can anyone describe how the "self energising" boge strut works? I've not actually looked to see whether I even have one but just the idea that a mechanical part can offset the spring compression under load is intriguing.

Hmm - doing a search, it appear that it is not a passive unit but is pumped by the engine?

Also appears it was dropped with the TD5 and beyond in favour of stiffer springs.

Also sounds like it is universally regarded as a PINTA and worth removing if you have it.

Still curious, though.

Guest diesel_jim

No, not connected to the engine at all.

It's gas filled (bit like a gas shock absorber) but under mucho pressure.

i'm not entirely sure how the innards work, i'm sure a grown up will explain, but i think there's a pixie in it with a small tap and he allows the suspension to "rise" when you go over a hump (for example), but when the suspension is on it's down travel, said tap closes and keeps the ride height "level" (especially when you're fully loaded)

or maybe nothing like that,,,, :unsure:

No, not connected to the engine at all.

It's gas filled (bit like a gas shock absorber) but under mucho pressure.

i'm not entirely sure how the innards work, i'm sure a grown up will explain, but i think there's a pixie in it with a small tap and he allows the suspension to "rise" when you go over a hump (for example), but when the suspension is on it's down travel, said tap closes and keeps the ride height "level" (especially when you're fully loaded)

or maybe nothing like that,,,, :unsure:

Pixies could explain it!

The unit works by pumping itself up due to the operation of the rear suspension. i.e. you load the vehicle up and then as you drive off the suspension goes overa few bumps and the unit pumps itself up so its like a self energising air suspension,

It allows you to have a nice supple suspension spring rate, to give good ride when lightly loaded but then assists when you load up . It has a built in pressure limiting so you cant go mad and load 2 ton in the back, but it woks well upto about a ton or so . It was made for landrover by Boge , a similar individual s/absorber built in was used by mercedes on some of their big estate cars .

They wre expensive to replace when the stopped working, so most people removed them and fitted HD springs, Land rover stopped fitting them due to cost cutting , like they thinned down the panel thickness on defenders from the earlier 110 spec , removed galv body cappings etc. HTSH

Blo@*y beancounters :ph34r: