Help with piston ring/bearing sizes.

Outrage

Hey all,

I've bitten the bullet and taken off the head of my 2.25 NAD in an effort to cure the plumes of smoke eminating from the exhaust. Heads going to a reconditioner for a looksee/cleanup, injectors are going for a test/cleanup and i'm going to replace the piston rings and the bearing shells on the connecting rods.

Question is........

Is there an easy way that i can determine what size bearing shells and piston rings I need from looking at the old ones?

Cheers,

Lee

Oversize pistons have '0.020', '0.040' etc stamped in the top of the piston -you need to clean them up well to read it though.

Bearing shells have the undersize figure stamped on the back of the shell, where there is no movement so they don't wear away :P

Oversize pistons have '0.020', '0.040' etc stamped in the top of the piston -you need to clean them up well to read it though.

Bearing shells have the undersize figure stamped on the back of the shell, where there is no movement so they don't wear away :P

Great, thanks for the replies i'll have a better look later, was hoping it was that easy!

Cheers,

Lee

Hi, thanks for the earlier input. Ive had a better look at the bearing shells they've got "Rover 527172" and "NB 306 DC" stamped on them. Are these standard shells?

Cheers,

Lee.

If there is no undersize markings then I think they should be, but someone with a part number list can probably tell you with more conviction.... :)

But looking at this page : http://www.christianhollumimports.ca/page10.html it looks like they are standard diesel big end bearing shells..... Like I say though, I might be wrong =)

After managing to steal Bowie's info, it looks like I need to do my own work now :rtfm:

Anyway - standard bore size is 3.562 inches in old money and 90.49mil if you're a teenager.

Looks like yours are .04 oversize already - someone had to do a heavy rebore.

Les.

That seems a bit worrying 2 me, started thinking I may be chucking away good money if its been rebored several times.

Just so i'm sure I need to go for "RTC419340 PISTON RING SET 2.25 & 2.5 DIESEL NA 040"?

Cheers,

Lee

Just out of curiosity, are you pistons oversize too? I have always been under the impression that a rebore will need not only new rings, but also the correct matching pistons too...

Mark

Hi Mark,

Les's info was based on the sizes taken off my existing pistons, so I think the pistons are correct for the existing 0.40 rebore. i just want to change the rings........

.....unless i've misinterpreted something (which isn't hard 4 me!)

Lee

Les?

The figures you have there, you must have taken into account the piston -> bore gap somehow... I think?

Firstly, I don't know what that is, and because of that I can't see where you get the 40 thou overbore figure from... I'm concerned that if the piston -> bore gap isn't taken into account then it could be on 100 thou overbore already :blink: which would be a pretty well abused engine....

Could you let me know how you got there?

TIA :)

I see what you mean - some pistons have just the diameter on and some have the diameter,and then a second figure, which is the gap there should be between the bore and piston skirt for oil/metal expansion as on this gen piston that is .020 O/S

med_gallery_2_416_742183.jpg

med_gallery_2_416_729449.jpg

Outrage - It might be best to e-mail Turner Engineering with the info on your piston crown and they will be able to tell you exactly what you have got there. The information I gave you is quite probably incorrect.

Les.

I see what you mean - some pistons have just the diameter on and some have the diameter,and then a second figure, which is the gap there should be between the bore and piston skirt for oil/metal expansion as on this gen piston that is .020 O/S

med_gallery_2_416_742183.jpg

med_gallery_2_416_729449.jpg

Outrage - It might be best to e-mail Turner Engineering with the info on your piston crown and they will be able to tell you exactly what you have got there. The information I gave you is quite probably incorrect.

Les.

This is why i said i'd never mess around with engine internals! :)

I've Emailed Turner Engineering for info and a quote.

Cheers,

Lee

I just dropped my block off ( :P ), and they measured the bores to see what size piston I needed to get, which I did. They then measured the pistons and bored the block out to suit.

Although I bought a new head, had the cam bearings fitted and line bored by Turners- I had the block bored by a local company - knowing what I know now - I wish I had got Turners to do the whole job.

Although on the plus side - it was 50% cheaper than a V8 :P

I just kept on giving away money :(

Les.

Ah thanks Les, much appreciated :)

Lee, just a thought, is the bore lipped badly at the top? If so then you probably need a rebore anyways.... in which case it won't matter what size your current pistons are, as you'll need new ones anyways...... :(

Ah thanks Les, much appreciated :)

Lee, just a thought, is the bore lipped badly at the top? If so then you probably need a rebore anyways.... in which case it won't matter what size your current pistons are, as you'll need new ones anyways...... :(

Hi All, thanks for your useful information and suggestions.

Bowie, there is a lip at the top of the bore but it doesn't seem too bad although i must confess, i have nothing to compare it to. I'm thinking of getting new rings, see if the rings plus the revamp of the head clears up the smoke and then call it a day on this engine if not. As has been mentioned prior it's not the best engine in the word and it may be worth seeking out a bigger engine. Price of Pistons plus a rebore plus the time removing the other engine internals, moving the block to the re-borers and then putting the whole lot back together to find i've then got other problems would drive me off my nut!

Iv'e had a great quick reply from turners:

"Dear Lee, Thank you for your e mail enquiry. From the information supplied it appears your pistons are 020 oversize." they've also quoted me for replacement rings and pistons.

Cheers,

Lee

• 2 weeks later...
Good news, and good luck with the rebuild :)

Right, new rings purchassed and installed But being a numpty, i can't remember which way round the pistons go in the block!! They've got a V shaped groove on the tops, does the bottom of the V need to point towards the manifold or injector side of the engine??

Thanks, chaps!

Lee

bottom of the V [for the valves] needs to be facing the camshaft side [engines right hand side not yours], just checked my workshop manual :D

Hi Western, Thanx for that! Will be doing the job 2morrow at work with the aid of the workshop manual, but wanted to check in case it wasn't mentioned in there!

Cheers,

Lee