Help with piston ring/bearing sizes.

Outrage

Right, pistons are back in and the head's back on.

Do i (read: should i have...) need to do anything specific with the oil? I lubed up the new big end shells before putting them in the cylinders but other than than that is there anything else i need to consider or do i just fill up the engine as normal through the sump filler tube? Sorry if this sounds a bit daft but i'm a complete novice with engine internals and don't want to bust it when i turn it back on due to improper oil.

Cheers,

Lee.

I was always told and always do run some cheapish mineral oil through thats a bit thicker than normal to let the engine bed back in. Also i will turn the engine over until oil pressure is up and then allow the engine to fire.

^^^ good advice. Just disconnect the coil lead while priming the oil through the system on the starter.

Morrisons £4.49/gallon for cheapo 20w50 -run that in it for 500 miles then change it to something decent :)

Assuming you oiled the pistins during fitting then there shouldn't be a problem there either -if you didn't, a squirt or two down the spark plug hole should help -not too much it it will stop it sparking :P

That's about it I think :)

Oh, favourite one to forget is the rear oil feed to the cylinder head -it comes out quite fast if you forget (BTDT :P)

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Right, just a progress report....

Rings swapped, head serviced, all back together.......

turns over!!!!.....

......Only smokes half as bad now, still too much to pass an MOT. Never mind, had to try and it didn't set me back 2 much.

I have now won a 2.5 na diesel (12J) from ebay for a transplant. I'm aware of the RHS engine mount, throttle cable, thermostat and using the existing 2.25 exhaust manifold. Do I need clutch components from a 90 or series III? and is there anything else i need to know?

Also how much does a 2.5 diesel weigh? would a hired citroen berlingo or similar be man enough to carry it or do i need something larger?

Thanks all,

Lee

Hmmm... I think you should investigate further around the fuelling of the engine, before you write it off, the work you have done there should stop anything from smoking due to oil....

Get your injector pump adjusted -other people will tell you how, I know nothing!