Rubbing noise HELP Please

right-car

Please help!!

I have bought a 1999 1.8 freelander albeit quite cheaply @ £1525, However, I drove it home and it seems that there is a kind of rubbing /grinding noise constantly as you drive regardless of speed. This happens in reverse also. Additionally, when I put the landy into reverse and drop the clutch there is a knock / clonk that comes from the back of the car.

I love the freelander and need it to tow cars and use as a general use car. Could all you experienced freelander types please tell me what to look at first in order to rectify these problems. It has 84 K on the clock and apart from the noises seems to drive ok....just one other thing there is a bit of play in the steering...as you can see, I need some help being a first time land rover owner and newbie to this site??

All advice welcomed

Welcome to Land Rover ownership :P

For the clunk / rubbing noise, check what Les said. I think they do mostly make a bit of transmission noise going along due to the way the 4WD is set up. If it's a nasty noise it could be the usual transmission problem of the VCU locking up, removing the rear prop and having a drive would tell you if it is.

For steering play, get someone to sit in it and rock the wheel back & forth against the play, then stick your head under the bonnet / wheel arches and watch/feel each joint in the steering for play. Sometimes you can see it, other times you need to put your finger on the join between two parts to feel them move.

The rubbing noise may well be the bearings on the rear propshaft - when worn they make a "rubbing noise".

Clonk almost certainly the rubber bushes which locate the rear diff as said, it typically makes a clonk on hard takeoff or lousy gearchanges.

Hereswhattheysaidinpictures....

trans.jpg

The VCU mounts are properly called "intermediate propshaft bearings". They are about £20ea for pattern version, £45 OEM and £68.10 LR genuine parts.

My money is on the front rear diff mount.

Cheers

Blippie

Hereswhattheysaidinpictures....

trans.jpg

The VCU mounts are properly called "intermediate propshaft bearings". They are about £20ea for pattern version, £45 OEM and £68.10 LR genuine parts.

My money is on the front rear diff mount.

Cheers

Blippie

Superb!

Thanks to everyone for the advice especially to Blippie for the picture...a picture paints a 100 words..Thanks.

Having looked at it ,it doesn't seem like too bigger job to do. i think I may change all of the mounts and bushes and see how it goes. I wil keep you posted. Thanks again