Stub axle queries

I've stripped everything on the front of my Defender and will be building up with new swivels, bearings, CV etc - it's all knackered! No problems with strip-down thanks to tech features from this forum....

The needle bearing inside the stub axle is shot (most of it in the bottom of the swivel) - is this a DIY job as it looks tricky to drift in without damage (assuming you can buy the bearing on its own anyway?)

The stub axle itself is pretty scored/pitted - so if I ordered a new one does it come with the needle roller and the rubber oil seal fitted?? (if not, anyone know a friendly supplier that CAN supply the complete unit?

Thanks guys

I didn't know there was a needle bearing *in* the stub axle, are you talking about the inner wheel bearing? If you are, then that's a wheel bearing and you can buy it separately, it goes in the hub along with the oil seal. If the land on the stub axle where the oil seal goes is pitted, you need a new stub axle otherwise it won't hold oil in.

I didn't know there was a needle bearing *in* the stub axle,

Neither did I... which is why its the only part I don't have and I'm stuck on a weekend not able to reassemble!!! Basically the inner end of the drive shaft (ie the CV joint) runs in this bearing as it stick through the stub axle housing.

Haynes manual says 'check the condition of the needle bearing and seal... - take it to your LandRover dealer if it needs replacing...

I'm hoping a new stub axle comes with it, it looks a really fiddly

part number for the seal is FTC840 :D Cos you'll only ask me later

WOW that appeared by magic!

Paddock online list the correct part nos for stub axle and the needle bearing but are showing FTC3276 for the seal within the stub axle (I think) - is this compatible with the FTC840 mentioned ???

Nearly there!

Just out of interest, how much more expensive is it to get spares from a LandRover main dealer than say Paddocks?

If you're buying genuine, probably not much. A lot of the "classic" parts are actually quite reasonable from LR, and they're less prone to f***ing up your order than Paddocks :rolleyes: plus dealers give club discounts.

I wouldn't buy the el-cheapo oil seals & bearings from Paddocks anyway as you're more likely to have to re-do the job rather sooner than you expected <_<

WOW that appeared by magic!

Paddock online list the correct part nos for stub axle and the needle bearing but are showing FTC3276 for the seal within the stub axle (I think) - is this compatible with the FTC840 mentioned ???

Nearly there!

I thought I'd added a reply from me, must have edited it into your post instead,

FTC3276 fits in the back of the swivel ball, not the stub axle.

Just to round off this thread, took the day off and got the job finished, I can report that main dealers certainly are more expensive than the online places (and then some!) but the quality is obviously goodn and you can check what you're getting

Thanks for the tip about discounts - got 10% off for being in Shire LR club. Needle bearing not too bad to tap in with a carefully chosen socket, and everything went back together a treat.

Out of interest the stub axle seal (on my '97 Defender anyhow) was an FTC 5268, the seal FTC 840 was way too big to fit the CV joint shaft

cheers for the advice