Tachometer, can i fit one?

Yup it can, as long as you have/get an alternator with a W terminal.

you will need a rev counter 'suitable for diesels' or 'alternator driven', I have one from the VDO vision range.

thanks,

i have had a look at the alternator i am about to fit and it has a terminal with W next to it, so thanks for the help.

Colin

I have a 300Tdi fitted as std with a VDO tachometer. I can honestly say I look at it about once a year, mainly to check if it is still working. The power rev band is so small on these diesels and you can always tell if it is revving too high as the power goes and it gets very noisy. This is the engine's way of telling you to change up. If you must have an extra gauge, get a boost gauge, much more fun to look at, and at least it will tell you when you have burst a hose. Also cheaper, the VDO tacho is not cheap. And if you want something which is more than useful, get an EGT gauge.

Would that 0-4000 one do for a 200Tdi? I have been looking and western suggested a 0-5000 VDO but I cannot seem to find one for under about £140. I have found the 0-4000 VDO on eguages.com for about $90 including carriage. Want to make sure it would be OK since returns would be a bit of a non starter :unsure:

Malcy