lifting engines...

Mark

At some point in the near future I need to lift the engine out of my discovery. Knowing that the slam panel is welded to the truck, it looks like you need to get the engine very high to get it out of the bay. Does anyone know if this precludes taking the engine and box out together having already taken the transfer box off)? Or would it be better done as 2 separate items, engine, then box?

Cheers

Mark

I wouldn't recamened trying to take the engine out with the gear box still attached, there isn't much room with it off. NOt to say it couldn't be done but i'd lower the gear box so you can get to the bell housing to make it easyer to undo the bolt then lift the engine out after woulds.

Tim

Take the engine out, then the box. the engines come out fairly easily although i have found with the 300tdi the steering box gets in the way when you need to lower the engine down to get to the 2 top bolts, so it would probably save alot of of time, blood and swearing to drop it out aswell

• 3 weeks later...
Don't forget - if you are short of clearance of your lift does not go high enough....

Deflate the tyres!

Or lift the back end of the vehicle such as on ramps. Would make it easier while working underneath also. I have never tried this with a disco but it is an old trick from the motor trade.

Engine out seperately from the gearbox - getting the angle right to remove them both at the same time would be a major pain. I take the front wheels off and let the axle rest on a couple of blocks of wood so that the discs aren't on the ground. Having the front as low down as possible makes the job a lot easier.

Les.