Recommendations for a plasma cutter?

Jon White

Anyone got any thoughts?

I've been looking at the single phase, inverter plasma's, and am obviously avoiding the cheap chinese ones from ebay and the like. So far I've seen a Sureweld Plasma 41, and Newarc Plasma 40. Both single phase, british made inverter units with 40amp output. Of the two i think the Newarc machine has a slightly higher duty cycle so am more in favour of this one. Price wise both come in at just a tad over £500 +vat. Both are rated for up to 10mm steel, but the sureweld can do 12mm max, and the Newarc 16mm

Anyone got any experience of either of these machines, or got a specific recommendation for something different?

Cheers

Jon

Jon, just to clarify - it 'must' be single phase? (You just missed an 80 amp (output) Hypertherm (nice) on ebay for 512 quid, but it was 3 phase).

I've never used a Newarc, but I do have a Sureweld one which I've been using for about 7 years. It has lasted well, it is one of their inverter ones. Overall I'm very pleased with it. I would recommend them based on the rough treatment it has had (inverters being small tend to get thrown around a bit more!) and keeps going, but its only a 1/4" capacity, so the exact model isn't much use to you (it is one size down I think).

I too would choose the higher duty cycle in general, but at least the above is some real-world data... Did you test them both? Be wary of the claimed capacities, since it basically depends on how slow you are prepared to cut. I think the nominal capacity should be at a minimum of 10"/minute feed rate.

As with welders, I'd also go for a transformer based one if space/portability wasn't a factor? But having said that my inverter has been great (and my transformer one refuses to play ball!) :rolleyes:

Check the prices of torch consumables - this would be a factor in a future choice for me, if you use it a lot, it can really add up!

Got links to the two models? Can you go and try them - I did. Its worth it, and you can test the max capacity of both yourself on something thick to see who's telling porkies about capacity (with the same air supply).

[Also, *some* people seem to have good luck with chinese jobbers - 40A is quite small (therefore cheap), maybe you can live with the risk of no back-up? I hear a lot of them actually use some decent branded electronics inside too]. Caveat emptor. ;)

Sort out some decent clean air and a proper plug/mains supply for best results (check the earth clamp & cable too - nothing too cheap).

Al.

:)

:-)

I've used/seen used the sureweld ones, (ok "last years model") but they're basically the same spec. Nige Barker, and at least one other mate have Sureweld machines that they've been very pleased with. The supplier I approached also recommended the Newarc machine when they were quoting me for the sureweld one.

The sureweld one is here and the Newarc one is here.

I'd anticipate it only rarely being used to cut anything more than about 6mm so on that bassis wont be working too hard most of the time. I've only got single phase electrics so its got to be single phase. Inverter technology is best for me, as storage space is an issue, and I'd only anticipate it being used (relatively) infreqently.

Cheers

Jon

Ahhhh, sorry, because this thread is about plasma cutters, I thought you were saying you just bought a 350 amp plasma cutter (which would give you a cutting depth of about 100mm in mild steel).

I see now you are talking about a mig welder.

So, back to the plasma cutters folks...

Al.

;)

I have a Newarc plasma 50, and am really very happy with it. The power in incredible - it will cut 12mm very cleanly, and will cut about 20mm if you don't care what the edge looks like. The thing that I liked most of all was that the consumables are very cheap - you can get the whole lot for a couple of quid. If you compare that to some of the other, cheaper ones - you will very quickly make that money back. If you really want one, go for it. One thing though - they can usually be negotiated down on price. Give it a go.