Boost Alloy Damage

My Land Rover is a 2000 110 HT Td5 factory fitted with what I believe to be Boost Alloy Wheels - optional extra at about £800. Vehicle & wheels are generally well looked after. I recently had a puncture and took it to be repaired and when returned noticed quite severe damage which had clearly been caused by the repairer.

What are my options?

Additionally I notice the tube size on the invoice does not match the tyre size and wonder whether this has any implications? The tube is smaller than the tyre.

I imagine nothing would be gained by remonstrating with the garage and although my house insurance includes £50,000 legal cover I don't think it is worth the bother.

What would you do?

Thanks

MINESAPINT

My Land Rover is a 2000 110 HT Td5 factory fitted with what I believe to be Boost Alloy Wheels - optional extra at about £800. Vehicle & wheels are generally well looked after. I recently had a puncture and took it to be repaired and when returned noticed quite severe damage which had clearly been caused by the repairer.

What are my options?

Additionally I notice the tube size on the invoice does not match the tyre size and wonder whether this has any implications? The tube is smaller than the tyre.

I imagine nothing would be gained by remonstrating with the garage and although my house insurance includes £50,000 legal cover I don't think it is worth the bother.

What would you do?

Thanks

MINESAPINT

Seems like you have made up your mind.

I'd take it back to the repairer and whinge in the first instance - a good modern tyre machine shouldn't damage alloys at all, and on top of that an alloy wheel is not supposed to have a tube in it either!

A bit of minor damage to the alloy will not affect it unduly, over time there will be minor corrosion on the rim but you can buy touch up paints in the correct Silver Sparkle colour so you could do that and it would keep it at bay for a while.

The damage is beyond the paint but I would be interested in learning more about repairing these wheels.

Presumably it is possible to have them repaired/refurbished professionally?

Alternatively I might try to purchase some replacements on e-bay but this raises another question. There are a few sets for sale at the moment but I wonder how many different patterns have been produced and will I need to ensure I choose the right one?

Thanks

MINESAPINT

You CAN fit a tube but you aren't supposed to. I understand there are companies that will weld a wheel professionally but I'd suggest by the time you do that and pay for it to be repainted it would be cheaper to fork out for a new one and you'd have the old one as an extra spare if required.

Boost alloys are a specific type, others include Deep Dish, Tornado/Freestyle, Castor etc etc - the differences are quite obvious when looking at them. I would suggest contacting 4Site as they do an identical copy of the Boost which will be cheaper than the genuine item and if you change over the LR logo centre cap nobody will know the difference :)

They are an £800 option, but you can get them much cheaper. That's the inflated Land Rover price. It does not cost £200 per corner to upgrade a steel to an alloy when you are getting tyres anyway.

So if it bothers you that much I'd buy a new rim. Probably £75ish, possibly cheaper on ebay?

Or as MOG said, get it refurbed.

As Bogmonster says...You can fit tubes but it is best not to.

I have the old steels that need a tube but the tyres are tubeless.

This, on the face of it is not a problem but (so the tyre man told me) tyres designed for tubes are nice and smooth on the inside whereas the tubeless ones are less so.

This caused me a punctured tube not so long ago due to tube/tyre abrasion.

the tyres are far from new and it only cost £15 to fix so I have no complaint. However it is an extra thing to bear in mind.

TB