200tdi engine breather

Whilst doing a bit of engine work recently, i noticed a little bit of oil in my air filter. I just wiped it out like normal as it was only a little bit and hadn't contaminated the air filter.

Cos the sun was shining i thought i would replace the o-ring on the oil/air seperator fitted on the rocker. Whilst there i thought i would clean the gauze filter.

There is no gauze. So, no wonder i'm getting oil in the air filter. I went to see someone i know to examine their's. No gauze either.

Surely this makes the black thing on the side of the rocker a totally useless item ???

Is this why we all suffer from engine oil in the air filter ??

I think land Rover call it a separator - fumes go back into the inlet hose and the oil is SUPPOSED to drain out of the bottom and back to the sump but as you know it doesn't all go back. I've noticed on the 300s that the breather fume pipe join the inlet hole further down the line probably so as to cure the filter contamination problem.

HTH

Mo

Whilst doing a bit of engine work recently, i noticed a little bit of oil in my air filter. I just wiped it out like normal as it was only a little bit and hadn't contaminated the air filter.

Cos the sun was shining i thought i would replace the o-ring on the oil/air seperator fitted on the rocker. Whilst there i thought i would clean the gauze filter.

There is no gauze. So, no wonder i'm getting oil in the air filter. I went to see someone i know to examine their's. No gauze either.

Surely this makes the black thing on the side of the rocker a totally useless item ???

Is this why we all suffer from engine oil in the air filter ??

the breather is a Cyclonic type so it causes the vapours to spin & drop the majority of oil back into the sump via the drain tube, you'll always gte some oil in the filter, it's virtually unaviodable & doesn't cause any long lasting harm.