2.5 N/A not starting

Need a few ideas, noticed my 90 was a bit reluctant to start this morning, takes 30 secs to pre-warm and normally starts 1st time. Today took 3 attempts and threw a lot of smoke out on starting...probably unburnt diesel...drove 50miles fine.

now this evening it wont start at all, the engine turns over fine but its not kicking in...finally the battery gave up.

I've put the battery on charge overnight but if theres anyone with ideas as to what i can look for in the morning i'd appreciate it.

I have noticed that when i use the cab heater the battery voltage drops a little and the lights dim, but this has been going on for a while and never stopped the vehicle starting.

Mark

Fuel stop solenoid is possible. Its checked normally by cracking a joint that goes to an injector slightly open and turning the engine over. This can obviously be quite dangerous.

The first thing i would check though is the glow plugs as these are most common to failure.

Disconnect the battery. Then disconnect the wires from all 4 glow plugs including the link wires that go between them. Then get an electrical meter on ohms and check between the nut threaded part of the glow plug and earth. All should read about the same. If one is reading higher or lower than the rest then change it.

If all are reading the same then reconnect the wiring and put the meter on volts dc and check for a good voltage when the glow plugs should be on. If none then check/replace the glow plug relay. ;)

The stop solinoid is a issue when the vehicle gets old dont just check it cut off the terminal and put a new one on,the glow plug check is good do it and the light dimming I found on lots of ocasions is the earth/negative wire from the battery to the chassis to the transferbox gets old renew including the battery terminal and dont forget the earth wire at the starter motor to the chassis renew it.

thaks Les...im pasting this thread i just put on another forum...

My Diesel 90 from 1987 is not starting, the engine is cranking over and its throwing out smoke (unburnt diesel i presume), if i charge the battery overnight it will start 1st time but only with a 30 second pre-warm. Then without driving it wont start again next day...again its cranking but after 5 to 6 attempts the battery gives up.

Now does this sound like a battery issue or glow plugs or both?

I live in denmark and theyre not hot on spares to landys, if i want to buy plugs are they the same as for a 2.5 turbo diesel and if so up to approx what date?

Mark

Storm

30 second would be normal for a well worn engine, I'd say your battery has had it. The post you copied, I'd say needs earths and all the glow plug connections cleaning, worth checking on yours. TD plugs are the same as NA ones.

Bulletmp, bit of punctuation etc would make your post more readable mate! ;)

Storm

30 second would be normal for a well worn engine, I'd say your battery has had it. The post you copied, I'd say needs earths and all the glow plug connections cleaning, worth checking on yours. TD plugs are the same as NA ones.

Bulletmp, bit of punctuation etc would make your post more readable mate! ;)

I,m led to believe that its a problem with me and not the landy!! I have a habit of pumping the accelerator a couple of times before i try to turn the engine over, have been told NOT to do this..I will try in the morning..