Which lift kit for road use??

Strega

So thats a no to Britpart then!!?? I believe that was the kit I was looking at. It came with rear arms, front castor correction arms, 4 shocks and 4 springs for just under £600. Not bad I thought but I don't want to be changing it within a year!!

I really don't mind if it drives like a boat! After all, whats wrong with boats!! This is just for a bit of fun and will be a third car so used infrequently.

Are there any other comprehensive kits out there that will acheive a 2" lift but will last longer???

A suspension (springs) lift kit on its own will make it feel like a boat on any bends i would have thought - far better to lift the body off the axles and maybe 1" on the springs. As already mentioned the additional angles put on the propshafts and axle trailing arms will need to be adressed, mainly the trailing arms as the bushes will not like the increased angles.

My opinion only, but when i see any vehicle obviously lifted up higher than standard i tend to think of all those Toyota pick up trucks with skinny axles that used to be modded here back in the early nineties (usually accompanied with Weller 8 spokes - naff) when 'BIG FOOT' in the USA was all the rage.

White-sock image?

A raised Rangie done in proportion should look pretty tastey but has to be proportional i think. I have 235 width tyres on mine instead of 205 and that alone makes a difference in its 'stance'

The eighties look is just what I am after!! It is an 86' after all!!

Will have to pop out and get some white socks now!!

Best option if you don't have a lot of dosh, is to cheat!

Heavy duty red/white stripes all round with 60mil spacers under the rear spring seats and de carbon gas shocks.

Racing car handling with room to get 31/10.5x15's underneath.

Worked for me.

That sounds excellent. Any chance you could tell me where I could get these things and or part/model numbers. Why only fit the spacers under the rears? Will it not look like a hotrod with the arse sticking up??!! I would want it to sit straight and level.

Would love 31" tyres on my existing wheels but they would stick out too much and I don't want to fit arch extensions. So was thinking of going to 16" wheels with 235/85 tyres.

They are simply known as Range Rover heavy duty rear and have red/white stripes on them. They are NRC4304 and cost leass that £12 each!

The reason for the spacers on the back is that a proper H/D set up uses the afore mentioned springs on the back and std rears on the front. This gives virtually std ride height. However, put NRC4304's all round and the front is lifted by 2", hence 60mil spacers on the back evens it all up again.

Does that make sense.

Shed has +2" Pro Comp as I mentioned and it has 235/85x16 Colway MT's on it.

These are the spacers I made.

lift2.jpg

Some people commented that they didn't look strong enough but they tok all sorts of abuse and never failed.

And fitted

lift5.jpg

And sat beside Shed (on the right) you can't tell which has the proper +2 lift kit.

Both vehicles were running 31's then

brothersinarms.jpg

And finallty Shed on 235/85's

shed1.jpg

Hope this is of some use to you

Llama 4x4 do spacers... either their 2" replacements for the original, or aluminium ones which are made to your own spec :)

*CLICKY*

Pretty cheap for the example 25mm one, at £11 each....

So say you went for a pair of the replacement spring plates @£35 (you would have to ring and ask Dave @ llama ofc!) plus your police spec springs.... you could get the job done for just over £100... plus new shocks -same sort of money as the body lift I guess...

The rear arms will give the chassis bushes an easier time so they should last longer. With the fronts I would say drive it and see how it handles (might have vague feeling /lack of self centreing) and then if it does get either the castor corrected arms or a cheaper alternative (especially for a mostly road going vehicle) could be castor correction bushes from the likes of Old Man Emu as they are a fair bit cheaper, If it drives fine I wouldn't bother.

However you may find that correcting the castor causes a vibration from the front prop. this can be solved by fitting a double cardon front prop.

HTH

Pete.