Main Steering box is moving.....

SeriousIIa

Í've got a serious problems towards my steering house. When the front wheels (35x10,5 Simex Xtreme with serious offset) are wedged in a ditch or something it sometimes gets impossible to steer correctly. I can turn the steeringwheel but the only thing that moves is the bulhead and steering box mount. I'm looking for a way to solve this problem because when competing I need the steering to be very accurate.

2 options

brace the steering box mount in more ways to the chassis.

Replace the whole steeringsystem by a RR/defender one.

Best is probably the defender one. But how much work is involved in this? (easily doable, of better by a coil spring vehicle)

Cheers Bowy

This is the kind of situation I'm talking about.

10feb5.png

Very kind of you Les ^_^

The conversion isn't difficult - a defender column & wheel will bolt to a series bulkhead, you will need to make a small bracket to attach the bottom of the column to the steering box mount. Then you need to cut out or scallop the front x-member (Twizzle scalloped his, I cut mine out and replaced it).

This shows you how far forward my x-member (50x100x5 box section) is, it sits just flush with the front edge of the radiator panel:

xmember_rear.jpg

You need to make holes & weld crush tubes into the chassis, my mount is a bit different in shape because I used a D2 box:

Mount_3.jpg

You need to take note of where the arm will swing, I had to make a little adjustment to the web on my spring hanger to clear mine:

arm.jpg

But this might be due to the very flat nature of the D2 drop arm.

Here's the whole setup:

whole_setup.jpg

If you have leafs, then the link rod from the drop arm will foul on the near side leaf spring.

Les.

mine doesn't.

i have a 4 bolt rangie box in mine, defender column as fridge's. i modded my front xmember rather than chop it out and move it.

easy conversion really.