VIN confusion

Hi,

I am looking at buying a landy next week (hooray) but the VIN doesn't match up with the registration plate and I am getting confused.

The VIN is:

SALLDHMD7SA******

Which as far as I can work out a:

SAL Manufacturer code: Land Rover

LD Model: Defender (for early models: Ninety, or One Ten)

H Wheel base: 110 inch

M Body type: 4-door station wagon (LWB)

D Engine type: 2.5 litre petrol, carburettor

7 Steering and transmission: Right-hand drive (RHD), 5-speed manual (LT85, LT77, LT77S, R380 or other)

S Model year: 1995 (US market, and CKD production only)

A Assembly location: Solihull, UK

****** Serial number

It is the model year that is confusing me as this is a G reg registered on 19.03.1990

The owner has replaced the engine with a 200tdi.

thanks,

/mad

S wasn't used in the model range identifier

1989 model year is F ---- mines a 1989 'G' reg 110CSW & has FA in it's chassis number.

1990 model year is G

1991 is H

1992 is J

1993 is K

1994 is L

1995 is M

1996 is T

1997 is V

1998 is W

Does the VIN plate on the brake servo mounting agree with the stamped in chassis number on the lower front right chassis ? if not then walk away from it, if all agree & they agree with the V5 DVLA reg document, it should be fine.

S Model year: 1995 (US market, and CKD production only)

USA vehicles were built in UK & CKD vehicles should show a F = overseas assembly from CKD set of parts.

Does the VIN plate on the brake servo mounting agree with the stamped in chassis number on the lower front right chassis ? if not then walk away from it, if all agree & they agree with the V5 DVLA reg document, it should be fine.

Thanks Western, I will check when I go to collect.

The VIN he supplied me from the V5 doesn't match the number plate. Also he said the date on the V5 was 05/04 but I have it down as last being transferred on 08.05.2001.

But then again the HPI check I did said the mileage was inconsistant as well. It says it was 65,000 in 2000 but it is now 136K in 2008.

8 years at an average of 12K is 96K so it sounds well within range.

Everything else matches the HPI check.

The only way to be certain is when I go to collect, but wanting to get as much sorted before I drive 2 hours to collect it.

thanks.

Ralph

Some of the US market vehicles do have funny VIN's especially in the model year range, though I don't have details to hand. But that type of vehicle was never built for the NAS market AFAIK :huh:

I would do extra homework on the background before parting with cash "just in case"!

Guest diesel_jim
Thanks Western, I will check when I go to collect.

The VIN he supplied me from the V5 doesn't match the number plate. Also he said the date on the V5 was 05/04 but I have it down as last being transferred on 08.05.2001.

I'd leave it alone, especially with ^^^^^

sounds like a "bista"... bits of vehicle and bits of paperwork.

Ralph

Some of the US market vehicles do have funny VIN's especially in the model year range, though I don't have details to hand. But that type of vehicle was never built for the NAS market AFAIK :huh:

I would do extra homework on the background before parting with cash "just in case"!

Can only go on the info I've got to hand & S in the VIN is not used, but your probably more upto date than my info.

if not sure leave it as DJ says above.

just done a google search for Land Rover chassis numbers & found this website,

http://www.lrfaq.org/FAQ.3.Chassis_Numbers.html

the USA part of the list might explain the S in the subject 110's VIN.

Ok,

the brake servo, chassis and V5 VIN's all match ok.

The 05/04 number is not the date but the number in the circle on the V5 so that makes sense. I have the same on mine.

The date on the V5 matches the last keeper details I saw on Autotrader.

So after my initial panic, is sounds ok.

thanks for the input and advice.

/mad