cam belt

david1701

Hi all,

My series 3 (21/4 petrol) has sat for a few years with irregular use and is due to be returned to the road soon. I have bought oils and filters and new ignition electrics to replace whats there, and plan on doing a service at about a thousand miles. The engine and gearbox have both been replaced (before the 'rest') and i want to look after her. A mate said that i ought to change the cam belt as they deteriorate after sitting (I don't want the timing to go wrong) should I? and is there anything else i would need to do. She was in next to perfect condition before, what parts would die and need replacing after a little 'rest'?

Cheers for help, David

They're chain not belt, the whole elastic band nonsense didn't come in until the TDi's.

What parts it needs depends very much on what condition it's in, it could be fine or a load of stuff could've seized/perished/rusted in storage.

Also depends how meticulous you're wanting to be.

I'd try turning the engine by hand before trying to start it, just to check it's OK and nothing's seized.

At least I'd be looking at:

Ignition system (plugs, leads, cap, rotor, points, condensor)

All fluids including greasing everything that needs it, and replacing brake & clutch fluid as it could well be minging.

Oil filter, fuel filter, air filter (or clean oil if it's an oil bath type)

Drain the tank to check for crud/water that may have accumulated in the bottom, refill with a bit of Redex mixed in to clean things out.

Carb could well be gummed up, they're not my thing though so beyond bunging redex in the tank and carb cleaner down the top I'm not sure what could need doing.

And a new air freshener.

Hi all,

My series 3 (21/4 petrol) has sat for a few years with irregular use and is due to be returned to the road soon. I have bought oils and filters and new ignition electrics to replace whats there, and plan on doing a service at about a thousand miles. The engine and gearbox have both been replaced (before the 'rest') and i want to look after her. A mate said that i ought to change the cam belt as they deteriorate after sitting (I don't want the timing to go wrong) should I? and is there anything else i would need to do. She was in next to perfect condition before, what parts would die and need replacing after a little 'rest'?

Cheers for help, David

good point, but he drive's a puff's polo so has a puny rubber band, he had this idea of dropping it (is mk2) and i said no no no mate,

give an inch or two lift, some nice grass track tyres, a roofrack for your second spare, some lights up there,

and for gods sake get rid of that vw badge and get a nice green oval

he werent too chuffed :D

If the engine has been stored where it can be affected by condensation, then there's the possibility of one or more of the bores being rusty above the piston if the engine is a position where one or more of the valves are open. If you turn the engine by hand - you will feel the resistance of the piston trying to pass the rust line in the bore.

Les.

I've never known one snap, but I suppose if one did - the valves would contact the pistons and the rods would just bend - the same as on TD/i engines. There's a possibility that the broken chain could bunch uo and maybe punch a hole in the timing cover, or possibly damage a sprocket.

Les.