Rear Door unable to open

keithjh

Hi all,

The wifes Disco rear door is refusing to open from the outside or the inside, using key, fob, or pulling up the button from

the inside. I assume the locking mechanism is goosed, or will it just be one of those little springs thats kn----red?

regards

Keith

if you can open the door by turning and holding the key then pulling the handle then yes it's the dreaded little spring.a bit fiddley but easy enough.good luck

Tried that no joy

Regards

Keith

This might help, might not, try prying out the green oval in the door handle, then spray some wd40 or similar on the mechanism... worth a shot!!

Tried that as well still no joy

regards

Keith

Guest mortus

this happend on my grandads td5 the other day, we just pulled and tugged until it came open, then sprayed some central heating diesel in (its better than WD40 for penetrating thing) and its been fine since.

I was going to say what Disco-Ron and Mortus said. Every-so-often the same thing was happen to mine. I thought it was the spring or one of the rods needing a bit of a bend (I actually have had a spare working mechanism ready to go in for about 6 months), but someone squirted some WD40 behind the green oval and it has been ok ever since (touch wood, fingers crossed, etc etc).

I had the same thing happen to mine, the door was adjusted wrong. to keep out the water the last owner decided to adjust the door so that you had to slam it shut real hard, this kept the lock strained aginset the pole on the side of the chassie which it locks around. I got wifey to sit inside the car and she held open the door release lever and pushed on the door. i was on the outside and used my shoulder aginst the door to push it closed after a couple of hard shoves by me it moved in enought to allow the lock to release from the pole. keep yor weight on the very edge of the door so not to dent the rear panel.

Hi all,

The wifes Disco rear door is refusing to open from the outside or the inside, using key, fob, or pulling up the button from

the inside. I assume the locking mechanism is goosed, or will it just be one of those little springs thats kn----red?

regards

Keith

try holding the button up inside whilst someone tries to open it from outside.does the button go down slightly as you pull the handle on the outside if it does the spring has either gone weak or broken

if you can open the door by turning and holding the key then pulling the handle then yes it's the dreaded little spring.a bit fiddley but easy enough.good luck

Now there a thing, my rear door spring has just broken and what do I find just the answer on first page. Wonderful. fattyrbuckle, you say it is a bit of a fiddle but my problem is that the spring on mine is the little round one with two legs on it that trips the leverto engage the rod that opens the door.

If that is the one you mean where the hell do you get one, I have tried many spring manufactures. They all say they can make me one £60- £100.

If you can help I would be very grateful

Cheers Dave

Hi there streamline.Yes it was that spring and i got it off fleebay from a chap called phillipstuart33 @www.disco-compatible-parts.com.Sorry this aint a link but i haven't a clue how to do them.Anyway,good chap to deal with and if i remember rightly it was only about £4.50.Best of luck and tally hoe.

Hi there streamline.Yes it was that spring and i got it off fleebay from a chap called phillipstuart33 @www.disco-compatible-parts.com.Sorry this aint a link but i haven't a clue how to do them.Anyway,good chap to deal with and if i remember rightly it was only about £4.50.Best of luck and tally hoe.

Hi fattyrbuckle

Thanks for that I will get in contact, I have spent 2 days on the web with sping people and for a one off they need £60-£100 for one spring so £4.50 is great.

Didnt think of e-bay

Cheers Dave

I have the same problem on my D2. I haven't been able to open my rear door for months now. Pulling, pushing, cleaning, oiling, nothing helps.

My only roption was to hammer the mechanism to a million pieces, because you can't remove the mechanism with the door shut.

When the door was open I checked everything again, cleaned everything again and when I was sure everything was OK I put in the (very Expensive) new lock mechanism. Checked it a lot of times, and yes it would open and close and lock without any problems!

One week later, nothing :-(

I have no ideas anymore, don't want to destroy the mechanism again to open the door and pay a lot for another week of comfort..

Philip also does them in packets of 3 or 5. It might be more economical to buy a set for your vehicle.

One's gone, how log before the next one?

Thanks First fleet

I did just that , got three and at last it's right. One point I did not know the left and right sides are different have not found out why yet too happy to get it finished.

A real pain trying to source parts that are out of the normal run of spares from LR. Another one for the tech archive Bog Monster ?

Cheers dave