Accelerator cable sticking

Hi, I have a new accelerator cable which I made from matching cable, sleeve, and fittings from vehicle wiring products. It takes a bit of a tour round the engine bay as the throttle assembly is on the left hand side of the engine and facing forwards on the mazda engine. It feels a bit stiff when depressing the pedal and does not allow a smooth application of throttle, will lubricating the cable help? If so,. what would be best, was thinking WD40 but then thought this may dry out quickly? Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Martin

Hi, I have a new accelerator cable which I made from matching cable, sleeve, and fittings from vehicle wiring products. It takes a bit of a tour round the engine bay as the throttle assembly is on the left hand side of the engine and facing forwards on the mazda engine. It feels a bit stiff when depressing the pedal and does not allow a smooth application of throttle, will lubricating the cable help? If so,. what would be best, was thinking WD40 but then thought this may dry out quickly? Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Martin

use atf or something like that and run it down it

I've always used 3 in 1 type light oil for my cables but I do remember reading that graphite powder was the stuff to use. Trouble is that I always have a tin of light oil on the shelf :)

If the the outer is lined then it shouldn't need lubricating.

Keep any bends in the routing of the cable as shallow as possible as the inner can bind in the outer if a bend is too tight.

HTH

Mo

Agree with the earlier post, depending on the type of sleeve it may not need to be lubricated at all but you will have to check.

You didn't damage the inner when making it up did you, a kink in the wire or a loose strand will make it stick?

A cable oiler as used on motorcycles is the best thing to use if it does need lubricating, I have had a screw type for nearly 30-years and it is very effective (see www.busters-accessories.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=CABH for an example of the type). These force oil down the cable instead of using gravity and while doing it force out any accumulated muck or old oil. They do the job in seconds and at about £15 hardly break the bank.