Ignition V8 to Tdi

keithjh

Hi All,

Having obtained a V8 CSW , i am fitting a 300TDI shortly complete with auto box, Should i totally isolate the old ignition system for the V8 and rewire it, or if possible alter the existing.

thoughts please i know someone will have already done it

Regards

Keith

i'd remove the whole lot and start again, or cut off the multi plug onthe v8 lump and connect it to the tdi multi loom.

you only need

oil pressure

stop solenoid

alt

starter wire

water temp

so not much to worry about.

Guest WALFY

I went from V8 to TDI. Wiring was simple. + lead for coil goes to FIP. The rest is simple transfer over to new item. Depending on your alt you may need to either cut of the plug and use ring terminals or the other way round.

If I can do it anyone can ;) .

Guest diesel_jim

If its a factory carb V8, then where the loom off of the engine plugs into the bulkhead loom (just by the brake master cylinder/servo) into that (i think) 8 way plug....

get hold of a 2.5 NA or TD engine loom, somnething like PRC4021 (which is for 2.5TD w/ 65amp alternator), this will plug straight into the bulkhead harness, and more or less reach most of the bits on a Tdi, you may need to extend a couple of the wires, but it'll look pretty much "factory".

if you go to Nicks Jungle you can see the plug in looms to make the glowplug timer work. tis timer is the same on 200Tdi and 300Tdi, so no problem there. the only difference is that the 300Tdi main wire out of the glowplug timer is longer than the 200 one, so needs extending (if you mount the 300 in the factory position)

all in all, nice and easy, and better still, most parts are available off the shelf. not hard to make the looms up yourself, but if you don't mind spending a little bit you can keep it all looking factory, which IMO is nice and neat.

where are you based?? if you're near Wiltshire give me a shout, i can help you with the wiring.

edit: just seen you're in Doncaster.....nowhere near me!

i'd remove the whole lot and start again, or cut off the multi plug onthe v8 lump and connect it to the tdi multi loom.

you only need

oil pressure

stop solenoid

alt

starter wire

water temp

so not much to worry about.

Cut the loom off the V8?!!!!!!! :o Don't you dare Kieth! :rolleyes: I want that engine! (and get confused enough with standard wiring). Isn't there a diesel loom on the military 110? Take that. I won't need it.

Diesel_Jim --get hold of a 2.5 NA or TD engine loom, somnething like PRC4021 (which is for 2.5TD w/ 65amp alternator), this will plug straight into the bulkhead harness, and more or less reach most of the bits on a Tdi, you may need to extend a couple of the wires, but it'll look pretty much "factory".

my retro-fit factory 200Tdi still retains the previous 2.5TD engines harness, the fitting booklet states, remove the harness connections from the engine [TD] & retain safely clear until the new [tdi] is fitted then reconnect the harness.

Guest diesel_jim
my retor-fit factory 200Tdi still retains the previous 2.5TD engines harness, the fitting booklet states, remove the harness connections from the engine [TD] & retain safely clear until the new [tdi] is fitted then reconnect the harness.

:i-m_so_happy::i-m_so_happy:

If its a factory carb V8, then where the loom off of the engine plugs into the bulkhead loom (just by the brake master cylinder/servo) into that (i think) 8 way plug....

get hold of a 2.5 NA or TD engine loom, somnething like PRC4021 (which is for 2.5TD w/ 65amp alternator), this will plug straight into the bulkhead harness, and more or less reach most of the bits on a Tdi, you may need to extend a couple of the wires, but it'll look pretty much "factory".

if you go to Nicks Jungle you can see the plug in looms to make the glowplug timer work. tis timer is the same on 200Tdi and 300Tdi, so no problem there. the only difference is that the 300Tdi main wire out of the glowplug timer is longer than the 200 one, so needs extending (if you mount the 300 in the factory position)

all in all, nice and easy, and better still, most parts are available off the shelf. not hard to make the looms up yourself, but if you don't mind spending a little bit you can keep it all looking factory, which IMO is nice and neat.

where are you based?? if you're near Wiltshire give me a shout, i can help you with the wiring.

edit: just seen you're in Doncaster.....nowhere near me!

Thanks for that it is a factory carb V8, i will get the looms instead of making them up as the 110 is really tidy and i would like to keep it that way :lol: at least for now!!

Regards

Keith

Cut the loom off the V8?!!!!!!! :o Don't you dare Kieth! :rolleyes: I want that engine! (and get confused enough with standard wiring). Isn't there a diesel loom on the military 110? Take that. I won't need it.

Er yes there is at times i am a bl--dy idiot :ph34r:

Keith