cleaning a diesel fuel tank

pugwash

Seems likely that m fuel tank and lines are full of carp- if i drain the tank down is there anyway of cleaning the insides out? filling it with Paraffin or similar maybe? i have got a 95l tank though so i don't want it to cost a fortune.

anything i should watch out for?

The filler pipe, etc protrude inside the tank, so whatever you drain out will have to come out the drain plug (if you have one). Paraffin or diesel would be ok - you could filter it through a J-cloth or something and use it again and again until the tank is clear, then just a small amount to rinse it. Water would seperate to the bottom, so you could avoid putting it back into the tank again.

Les.

i guess your arms too big to fit in there and clean it..... wheres Sticky when you need him? you could ask him to climb down the filler and have a look and see for you!

so its not back together yet then?

i guess your arms too big to fit in there and clean it..... wheres Sticky when you need him? you could ask him to climb down the filler and have a look and see for you!

so its not back together yet then?

Does he do chimneys ? :)

Mo

James is, as ever, totally correct- i cannot possibly take the fuel tank out or else before i know it it will be a heap of bits with half a cage and a non working engine.

quite like the idea of popping sticky in to clean it out!

I had things growing in my tank and had to clean it last summer, I am lucky it's a military tank so I could get my arm in to scrub it.

I washed it out then connected a spare fuel filter to a holley fuel pump and sprayed a gallon of clean diesel/petrol areound in the tank

untill it came out of the tank clean, the diesel was draining into a can so it was recirculating, it came out really clean; a fuel injection pump

would be even better than the holley fuel pump.