Rear Floor Replacement

SteveRK

Few pictures of the repair/replacement so far:

Piece of 2mm thick mild steel clamped to the underside of the floor ready for welding. This will then be welded to the crossmember (two small holes to be enlarged) This is the off-side:

post-7113-1205174895_thumb.jpg

Plug welded, ground down and then 'Tetrasealed':

post-7113-1205175207_thumb.jpg

Repeated on the other side and now with the crossmember welded in and 'Tetrasealed' all over - Lovely stuff to use :angry:

post-7113-1205175278_thumb.jpg

Next up will be the front crossmember replacement that hopefully will follow the same method, then the arse end member :(

• 3 weeks later...

Front crossmembers and rearmost crossmember fitted at last.

Need to make up and weld a section to take the seal that fits on the rear crossmember (seals the lower tailgate)

Few more very small holes on the offside wheel arch that need sorting with some welding :(

Next stages include the rear floor section :blink: considering 2mm thick sheet steel that will be sufficiently strong to not need much under support when i carry any heavy loads (beer etc.)

Then out wings that need some fettling to sort out rust etc.

post-7113-1206906425_thumb.jpgpost-7113-1206906523_thumb.jpgpost-7113-1206906465_thumb.jpg

Cheers Nige

Yes - What was meant to be a 'quick and dirty' weld up and go job is starting to develop into a thorough refurb!

That welding mask of mine is still total carp by the way!! - i'm looking out for an auto dimming mask on a sensible budget - Seen this one on Northern Tools:

http://www.northerntooluk.com/products.asp?partno=139771E

Not heard of this make but its in my price range - anyone got a view on auto dimming masks - how much/make etc. ?

I'm a hobby welder so dont need top quality.

cheers

I paid £69+vat for one from my local farm supplies. Looked very similar to the one in your link but without the graphics. It has been the single biggest improvement to my welding so far! Buy one. As a hobby/occasional welder it will do the job I am sure. Just remember to leave them in the sun and not locked away in a cupboard somewhere

You must have the solar powered version 'Orgasmic Farmer' - hence leaving it in the sun.

Yes - I have tried the auto dimming mask - courtesy of Hybrid From Hell when he was giving me some very usefull tips on Mig welding and having gone back to my flip up window mask I realise just how much they assist in steady controlled welding.

Mudflaps - I initially had mine trial fitted the other way round and they were sticking out too far - even without the outer wing fitted so reversed them as currently fitted.

• 1 month later...

Story do far. Piece of 2mm thick mild steel sheet will be the new floor. It overlaps at the sides and front end. Welded various strip and U channel to provide rigidity on the underside:

The red dotted lines correspond to where the floor will sit on the two front crossmembers

post-7113-1209845715_thumb.jpg

Bit of tin worm needed cutting out of the O/S rear corner wing. Now filled, rubbed down, filled, rubbed down, filled, bloddy rubbed down etc ready for undercoat.:

post-7113-1209845928_thumb.jpg

Bough some 'Brush Enamel' from Turners Paints the other week so will see how well it matches and what sort of finish it gives. I'm hoping it works well as spray tin paint is microns thin and always is a pain to blend in but with a brush i can do all those other rust scabs around the sides etc.

Floor is now tetrasealed' on the underside and will be undergoing final fitting tomorrow whetehr it likes it or not, GOD its taking forever this job :(

Gooed up and fitted at long last:

post-7113-1209928874_thumb.jpg

6mm stainless bolts & nuts around the perimeter and the floor sandwiched with sealer - time for a cuppa' Tea and a smoke

post-7113-1209929020_thumb.jpg

Clean up of the floor, apply some body sealer and paint next

Valid point, I hope not. With the U channel bracing and at the front with the rear seat belt chassis supports i'm hoping it will be sufficiently rigid to prevent this. I get enough ear bashing in my old transit as it is!

At the moment now that its all bolted down its pretty dam solid, but not yet road tested of course.

Full penetration is a 'must-do' on all occasions as i say :P

Although its only a hobby welder I have invested in a Size Y BOC Argoshield Light bottle, wheeled trolley and an adapter pipe to fit the small pipe that comes with the welder so i have all the gas i need now.

Now that the stern is sorted and will outlive the rest of the vehicle i have noticed some rot on the o/s bottom of the drivers door pillar (A post?) where it meets the sill, then front passenger foot well to cut out a small amount of rot and patch locally, And now its only running on 6 cylinders so i cant even drive the bloody thing till' thats sorted.

The A post may involve some upside down welding which i have yet to master as it tends to do the obvious and blob onto the tip - as they say.