300 TDI diagnosis

Mark

Having bought the new Disco with a blown head gasket, I set about replacing it, which is all now done... Without knowing much of the history of the truck I figured I would fix the head gasket, and figure out why it went once it was running.

So, now it's running and it is running exceedingly hot - I think this is why the head gasket went. The temp guage is off the scale, but the heaters are not pumping any heat out in the car and the hoses to the heater matrix are stone cold, so I currently suspect that that water pump is knackered. This, coupled with a very high pitch squeel from the pump itself, seems to condemn it.

I also wonder if it is just the thermostat, so I will replace that too, but could someone confirm that this is a viable diagnosis?

Thanks

Mark

It's rare for anything other than the bearing or seal to fail on a water pump, although if the engine has been started in the past with ice inside the coolant galleries, then it's possible that the impellor vanes could have been snapped off.

The heater pipes bypass the thermostat don't they ?. so I expect the pipes to still get at least warm.

Les.

My vote is the pump. Most systems have the heater bypassing the thermostat.

Don't know what that pump looks like but have seen failed pumps on other motors where the impeller has erroded away or plastic ones where the vanes have snapped off.

Steve

I have just replaced our Discovery 300TDi water pump and the vanes were pretty corroded so its possible that they have nearly gone and very inefficient as a result. :o

My seals went before the vanes did though, and the bearings were rough as hell, amazing how much quieter it made the car replacing the pump :)

Will

Thanks for the confirmations chaps, a new pump and 'stat have been aquired (along with possibly another forum member from the parts dept at Hunters in Guildford!) so we will see what the old one looks like tonight...

Cheers for the heads up Mo... ;)