How much to pay for a Td5 station wagon?

I'm currently a Td5 Discovery 2 owner, and very happy too, but I have one major problem. I've been taking the discovery off road more and more and keep damaging the front bumper etc, so I thought maybe I should change for a Defender.

So, two questions. One, how much can I get a high spec early Td5 110 station wagon for? Two, is it actually going to be more practical than the Disco considering:

• I drive 12,000 miles a year
    I tow reasonably heavy trailers (1500kg to 3500kg)
    I use it off road occaisionally
    I don't really want to give up the luxurys of air con, electric windows, central locking, etc

Rich,

I would have thought that the main question is once the Toyota axles are on your Disco 1 how often are you really going to be using the shiny one off road? I would have thought that the answer is not much. Personally Rich I think you should stick with what you have got, I don’t think the defender would be quite so family friendly. Have you run this idea past Kyrisa yet or are you trying to build a reasoned case to present first? I can't see her being to keen.

Steve

darn, busted...

Obviously I'm trying to build a reasoned case BEFORE I run selling the family car and buying a great big Defender by the Boss.

Oh, and once I have the Toyota axles on the Disco 1 I'll need to use the other car off road more, because you can't go green laning on 37" Super Swampers, it's just rude.

darn, busted...

Obviously I'm trying to build a reasoned case BEFORE I run selling the family car and buying a great big Defender by the Boss.

I had a feeling that might be the case.

So plus points -

more room I would think

probably will hold its value better long term

negatives-

not so comfy

wouldn't have thought that it is as safe

There are probably loads more on both sides, I try and think of a long list of positives for you.

Oh, and once I have the Toyota axles on the Disco 1 I'll need to use the other car off road more, because you can't go green laning on 37" Super Swampers, it's just rude.

I suppose you've got a point there, hadn't really though about the laning side of things.

Steve

For a good one with all those toys an 02 on model would be best but forget the aircon, it's carp (freezes your knees) and robs leg room. Probably 12 - 15k for 02.

Thought about buying a DII but got what I really wanted despite costing probably 3k more. Not so worried about scratches and dings on the narrow lanes around here either. More scope for adding toys as well :lol:

Thanks Mark, but it would have to be a Station Wagon rather than a Double Cab. My beloved wife is gonna dislike this idea enough, with out me going back to a pick up (even a nice double cab one) as I owned a rather rough Ford pickup a few years back and she still haven't forgiven me.

Besides I need a proper dry space for baby things!

I've swapped from a DII to a 110 station wagon and I can tell you that the latter is noisier, draftier, less comfortable and has a lot less in the way of creature comforts. I love it (because I'm a LR anorak), but I've only been really able to justify it as my wife now has a DII of her own. Perhaps that's something you should consider...:)

The other option, of course, is to prepare your DII in a manner that will shrug off green lane knocks more readily, although scratches will always be an issue.

Looking at the difference in price between a double cab and a station wagon I would be inclined to buy a DC, sell the roof and buy a SW roof and sides for half the price you sold for... OK, so you get an internal bulkhead to live with.

Chris

i think you will be better off keeping the D2 and changing the bumper

110 - longer + greater overhand, worse lock

110 - not as comfortable, is noisy

110 - has better load carrying

Off road - more options for a 110 then disco at sensible money but disco prob better off road with same off road additions - e tyres and lift.

Towing - nothing in it in my experience or very little difference

Hmmm, maybe starting to convince me to stick with what I have already.

Also, looking around I think I would need at least £3000 on top of the value of the Disco to get an even half decent 110. You can do a lot to a Disco for way less than £3000 (hmm, ARB bumper, lift, BFGs, chip, snorkle?).

However, all may change as I'm off to a commercail vehicle auction next week and I've already seen a few 110s up on the catalogue. We'll see what they go for then!

I like the DC to SW idea...