Swivel Hub Seal

Hi

I have realised that i need a new hub seal as there is more oil and grease on the outside that inside. i have seen the Tech archive which tells me how to do it but it doesnt say what new parts i need (apart from the obvious - a seal)

what will i need to put back in there, i have heard a few people say about one shot grease or EP 80/90 (IIRC) what would be best to use? and is there anything else that i need?

Tris

There are a couple of 5p paper gaskets that you brake on the way into the Hub seal. I bought them when I had to change my front drive shaft but didnt bother using them becuase they looked so pathetic. I just used some instant gasket past/cream out of a tube and stuck it back together with that.. Done alot of hard driving since and no problems.

Hub seal

Lock washer. Yes fit a new one.

Gasket. Fitted correctly you'll not have any leaks and are easy to clean off when you have to replace them the next time.

Fit the gaskets. Like all paper gaskets with a smear of grease each side.

HTH

mike

Try was Lord Mayor of London. Can't died in the workhouse.

Ah, if you do the swivel seal the official LR way you will need all that stuff. The easy way is to leave the hub alone, disconnect the flex hose to the caliper and the track rod end, then undo the bolts that hold the end of the axle to the middle bit. The whole shebang then comes out complete with half shaft. Change the swivel seal and bang it back together. Be warned - the whole lot including swivel, disc and caliper is heavy. I supported it on a trolley jack. It is a bit of a fiddle to get the half-shaft splines to mesh so support is handy.

Change the swivel seal and bang it back together. Be warned - the whole lot including swivel, disc and caliper is heavy. I supported it on a trolley jack. It is a bit of a fiddle to get the half-shaft splines to mesh so support is handy.

Also, once unbolted, watch was the heavy caliper at the back unbalances the lot off the jack and tries to take your fingers with it.

2 hands getting the lot back on is very handy.

Here's a

of doing it this way

Just changed mine, I would recommend buying genuine LR seals.

As mentioned above, I chose to un-bolted the complete assembly as the hubs had not long been rebuilt, unfortunately with NON genuine seals :( .

You will need the swivel seal, swivel seal retaining plate gasket and the axle/swivel bearing housing joint gasket.

Make sure the retaining plates are flat, mine had two per side....not certain if this is standard but makes sense.

I used RTV sealant around the seal and on both faces of the gaskets.

A thin walled ratchet spanner is useful for the 12 point mounting bolts, they are unevenly spaced so make sure the new gasket is aligned with all the holes before offering up the assembly....

Rod