3.9 V-8 question

landi41

Was there ever a 3.9 or a 4.0 V-8.... serpentined belted distributor equipped Discovery engine offered in the UK?

We had them here in Canada (NAS spec) in 1995 only..........I'm looking for one to convert to an Edelbrock manifold and Holly Carb....... GEMS has to go...........

Thanks in advance

Hello Dave, long time no see :)

IIRC the early 3.9s in the Discovery were V-belts, but the later ones were definitely serpentine belts as my 1996MY was so equipped, serpentine belt but with the old dizzy on the front, and they would have been like this up to the end of the Discovery 1 production (last model year was 1998). I have a feeling they changed about 1993 but that might be the date the 3.9 was introduced, not sure.

In the UK the serp engines were introduced for the 1995 model year in August 1994 and ran to the end of the 98 my.Shame you want to be rid of Gems - its a good system,but I can understand the frustrations of individuals having to rely on others for diagnostic issuses,esp as they are all now getting older.

Hello Dave, long time no see :)

Hi Stephen;

Yes, it's been awhile, thank you and the others for your informative answers.

it's not so much the GEMS system that bothers me, it's the bleedin alarm ECU and engine immobilizer function that i want to get rid of......plus the nearest Land Rover dealer is 250 miles from my home.....

Thanks;

Dave

FYI I've got a Jan '94 build Disco (MA chassis) and it's got a serpentine belt. Aussie delivery, which is classified as "UN spec" - ie. low comp, no cats, no oxy sensors. I think :unsure: it's one of the first set-up this way.

Wow how lucky can you get ? now tell me it hasn't got an alarm/ engine immobilizer :)