Waxoly in east midlands

I know, I know - I should get my overalls on and do it myself; better job and all that but I've just spent a fortune on getting the drive re-done and have a baby that precludes me spending all weekend under the landy.

Does anyone know of a good garage or service somewhere in the midlands that can apply a full waxoly treatment to my beast?

I don't trust the minimalist coating that LR provided and would rather invest now than rectify later.

Thanks

A

In May my new 90 XS SW will be going to "Rustmaster" who are between Hatfield and St. Albans/Harpenden in Hertfordshire. I looked into rustproofing a month or so back and came to the conclusion that they fitted the bill for me. I spoke with a chap from Stockton-on-Tees who'd done a similar investigation and concluded they suited him and was happy with the treatment.

They use Waxoyl Professional products, one for the cavity sections and another Hard Wax grade for the underside, which is only available to the trade, of which they are the sole UK authorised user. This stuff comes from Waxoyl AG, a independent Swiss company who gained the overseas distribution rights for the stuff years ago from Waxoyl in the UK who are part of Hammerite, in turn part of ICI. This stuff also has a UV component so they can see with a UV light where they have or have not coated.

I'm nothing to do with them whatsoever and have yet to experience the service myself, but concluded they seemed best for me anyway. See www.rustmaster.co.uk for details. Rustproofing discussions on the forums can be very heated as everyone has an opinion of what is or is not good practice etc, and I found the comments helpful. As you say, Land Rover ceased applying any underseal of any form in mid-December 2007. I hope this is of some assistance.

<snip>

Rustproofing discussions on the forums can be very heated as everyone has an opinion of what is or is not good practice etc, and I found the comments helpful. As you say, Land Rover ceased applying any underseal of any form in mid-December 2007. I hope this is of some assistance.

Wise words indeed.

This thread (or any other on the subject) will not be permitted to add to the heat ...and that includes contributions from any vendors or service providers.

The price from Rustmaster for my 2008 90 XS Station Wagon is £425+VAT and a £100 deposit is required when you make the booking. No idea if a 110 attracts a higher fee, maybe so (extra doors, longer underside etc). In most things I, and I suspect the rest of us, usually seek a discount, but I thought this was a fair undiscounted price for what I hope will be a very good comprehensive service/investment, particularly as I don't intend to sell the vehicle. Also, you only get what you pay for.

Again, I have no connection with Rustmaster whatsoever and have yet to experience their service, but their e-correspondence with me to date has been very professional.

don't they advertise in LRO magazine?

if so they look like a darn good company to me, even offer a courtesy car while yours is being treated, along with collection service too IIRC.

if i had the cash then i would have my disco done (after having all the rusty bits repaired of course)

How long do they estimate the job will take? I know when I do one of my own it takes quite a while - even knowing all the shortcuts and access points etc.

I'm putting a day aside - they'll pop you into St Alban's or Harpenden to look around or go up to London or whatever. I guess it takes a while to clear the underside and do the job and then the hard wax need time to harden up, so I suppose it's sensible to give the process enough time before you drive off.

They look like a good bunch. Pricing seems fair too. My only concern would be around drying out the vehicle before application. I can't see how they'd dry the inner cavities in time without additional equipment.

I might give them a call.

Thanks

I have just had 3 quotes from different garages for treating my 110 (chassis only). £350, £250 and £130.

At £350 the whole chassis is needle gunned.

At £130 the chassis is steam cleaned then allowed to dry/driven around etc then Waxoyld inside & out. The job takes 3 days most of it required for drying.

The chap charging £130 comes highly recommended by another Land Rover mechanic so I am going there.

Only problem is no courtesy vehicle but what can you expect.

MINESAPINT

Looking at it impartially I think it would be difficult to efficiently needle gun an entire chassis while it still has a body, engine, transmission etc secured to it. You can access quite a bit but it would be impossible to do the whole thing.

Getting the vehicle clean and allowing it sufficient time to dry out prior to application of whatever system they use would be my main concern.

Exactly my thoughts miserableoldgit. It will be impossible to access the most vunerable parts with the needlegun. Just a stressful pointless operation.

Incidentally the quote for £250 was to waxoyl the internal parts of the chassis and underseal all the externals. It was suggested the chassis was in good condition and did not require the full Waxoyl treatment.

MINESAPINT

don't they advertise in LRO magazine?

if so they look like a darn good company to me, even offer a courtesy car while yours is being treated, along with collection service too IIRC.

if i had the cash then i would have my disco done (after having all the rusty bits repaired of course)

Hi Al,

you are thinking of a company called Brian. Rustmaster (at least to my knowledge) do not offer a courtesy car or pick up service.

Cheers Chris