TD5 II 2002 Disco

Anglo-Frenchman

Hi,

Bought a 2002 Disco about 6 weeks ago and been generally very please with it. It is the first Td5 that I have owned so am still getting used to it after many Tdi's Defenders and Discos.

Since owing it I have been aware of what I can only describe as a deep whining noise at low revs (starts at around 1000rpm) but which disappears at higher speeds. It rises and falls with engine revs and is not associated with travel speed. I thought at first that was perhaps a worn alternator bearing or something similar but it seems to be located more centrally and around the engine/gearbox junction. It is more audible within the car than from outside and I am starting to wonder if it something more sinister as I'm sure that it is not a 'design feature' of the Td5. I feel sure that the noise is becoming louder although this may just be my paranoia.

I can record the noise if it helps but not sure how to upload it to the site for your listening please!

Ged

Thanks for the suggestion Chris. I honestly don't know but I can't believe that this filter should be so audibly noticeable. You know how it is with noises; some sound sort of peripheral while others sound as though they are coming from the centre of the vehicle. This sounds like the latter. I wondered about gearbox bearings or something - depressing the clutch makes no difference. Clutch appears to function properly although I have noticed that there is a strange kind of whirring noise occasionally just when the clutch bites - mainly in reverse although I'm not sure if the two facts are connected. BTW the Disco has done 148,000km (88,000 miles).

Ged

It's the centrifugal oil filter. See here: http://www.discoveryownersclub.org/tech/td5engine/#oilf

Pop up the bonnet and have someone accelerate the engine so you can hear the same sound/noise. Then tell your helper to stop the engine. If you will hear the same sound for a couple of seconds after the engine has stopped then it's the centrifugal oil filter and that's normal.

The link that I gave you suggests it is "located by the exhaust manifold".

It's on the left hand side of the engine. Not far from the regular oil filter or the turbocharger.

It's the round shiny bit on bottom left corner of this picture on which you can read "LEVER". You might not see it, just listen to the noises in the turbo area, on the left hand side of the engine (bay).

Those filters are noisy, they spin at high revs. If by "THAT noisy" you mean so noisy that you can hear them from the cabin then yes, they are THAT noisy.

Thanks a lot for the link etc. I have since been out and run/switched off the engine and listened for the overrun as the spinner winds down so it appears that this is indeed the noise that I have been hearing but I am still astounded that it should intrude so noticeably into the cabin. I can't believe that the LR design team would have let that slip through on what is not (lets be honest) a low budget vehicle and I am sure that many owners would find it unacceptable. As a long-standing Tdi owner I'm used to running noises akin to the German advance on Stalingrad but many must be quite amazed.

Out of interest does changing the filter reduce/alter the noise or is it a case of 'it is what it is'.

Thanks again,

Ged

Some are noisier than others and I think it is probably down to the balance (or lack of) in the filter unit as it spins at something like 15000rpm I think! So changing it may well shut it up. I have certainly never noticed it on any Td5 I have driven apart from when you shut the engine off after a long run and you can then hear it winding down like a gyro but not usually when the engine is running!

Does your Disco have the ACE system? the pump makes a noise, and if any of the high pressure pipes are not clipped properly, or contact the body or chassis anywhere, they can transmit a lot of noise to the body.

Yes, it does have the ACE system so I will need to investigate this further and thanks for that tip.

I'm really a bit puzzled given that some respondents have cited that they cannot hear the oil filter while others say it is very loud and can be heard in the cabin while driving. This disparity does cause me some concern.

It is easy to change - just 2 6mm bolts. Be careful when doing up the bolts as they are easy to strip. If you do strip them, they can be changed for ones a bit longer with no problems. There is no oil spillage to speak of.

Obviously I havn't heard the problem, but I recently borrowed a friend's TD5 Disco, the only significant difference between his & mine being that his had the ACE system fitted.

The noise difference was very noticeable. A low rumble at about 1000rpm, which appeared to clear at higher revs, or was at least drowned out my other noises ! It also seemed to groan when cornering at low speeds, traffic islands etc.

I don't know if this is normal, but very different to mine without ACE.

Hi Dave, yes that pretty well describes the noise I can hear - over 1000rpm or thereabouts it gets much better and disappears thereafter but the cornering thing is quite noticeable at low speeds. It is none the less a noise that (in my case) is associated entirely with engine revs and is present either stationary or in motion.