alternator connections

hello

started yesterday to transplant the disco 200tdi into my 90, will finish it tomorrow for now things are going well,

however i have a question

i fitted an alternator from a disco 300tdi after changing over the pulleys, its the connections at the back that i need help with, the large brown wires are no problem but the alternator has what i think is a surpressor fitted and the ring connection of this goes unto one of the other threaded connections which have no nuts fitted, is this then earthed???? if this all makes sence??? i have taken some pictures which i will post later expalining it better

over the next few days i will fit the front disco axle to the 90, the only problem i see is that there are two brake pipes goind to the disco brakes and only one brake pipe going to the 90???? again any advice what to do......................................................many thanks

but the alternator has what i think is a surpressor fitted and the ring connection of this goes unto one of the other threaded connections which have no nuts fitted, is this then earthed???? if this all makes sence???

The Big connection goes to Battery +, smaller connection is warning light. The terminal marked W is for the tacho - don't connect unless you have a tacho.

Supressors can be fitted to the Big and warning light terminal. The wire end goes to the terminal, the mounting tag of the supressor is connected to earth, usually via the regultor mount bolts or one of the alternator through bolts which hold the casing together.

western

thanks for the link, however its the small studs the surpressor it linked to, do i just put nuts on them? it was bought like this without nuts and the surpressor was just hanging off, i know it sounds a silly question, see attached picture...........................many thanks

post-4565-1205695088_thumb.jpg

western

thanks for the link, however its the small studs the surpressor it linked to, do i just put nuts on them? it was bought like this without nuts and the surpressor was just hanging off, i know it sounds a silly question, see attached picture...........................many thanks

Just bolt the tab of the supressor to that bolt near the tab in your picture - 1 nut, 30 secs to do!

many thanks

i was going to bolt it but i just wanted to be sure that i was doing it correctly.....................many thanks

western

do i just split the one pipe at each front wheel and fit a T piece..................many thanks

both diagrams for Discovery without ABS, depending on the donor vehicles chassis number [see details at top of pages] I believe the 1st page is for the 200Tdi range & 2nd for 300Tdi range.

I reckon you could kake up 2 short jumper pipes to connect the 2 fluid ports on each caliper together, seem to remember another forum member doing this fairly recently.

post-20-1205699856_thumb.jpg

post-20-1205700018_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

sorry to bring this up again but i am uprating my alternator on a 200tdi defender 45A. it has a plastic connector with three wires comming form it. one this wire that is the charge warging light, yellow i think, that i will leave the same and two brown wires with black stripes. i assum i will have to uprate these wires but where do they go. the new alternator i have has ring terminals so it will be easy to change them. any help much appreciated.

i was just wondering where the two brown and black wires go so i can uprate them. they dont seem to go streight back to the battery and i have tried to follow then but they seem to go into a collection of wires. do they go back to the starter?

the brown go to the starter solenoid terminal with all the other brown wires,the brown/yellow goes to the main multiplug conector to operate the no charge warning light on the dash.

if the black is a single colour wire from a suppressor then it should be attached to one of the alternator body bolts