Ordering parts and decoding rivet sizes

Hi,

had my 110 for a week now and apart from driving around with a grin like an idiot, I am starting to fix little bits and pieces on it. Got the heated rear screen working at the w/end by bypassing the voltage sensitive switch and now on to the bottom door sills.

I am about to order two bottom door sills and rivets but can't work out what the parts catalogue numbers mean.

Rivet 3/16" x 0.45" LNG 78248

SEAL- FRONT DOOR SILL MWC6130

The 3/16" is the diameter (thank you google) and I take it the 0.45" is the length? I am sure this is obvious to everyone but I aint riveted anything in my life and want to get it right. Also, if I order these from somewhere else, is there anything 'special' about the rivets? Aluminium body is essential I imagine.

Is it also worth buying a 'variety' pack of rivets from somewhere like Halfrauds so I have a stock of them?

Also where is the best place to order these from? The main dealers parts department or do people have a favourite mail order company?

thanks,

/mad

^^What Mike says, a local fastener company will have everything you need and more. Halfrauds are ok for eurobox drivers who want some touch up paint on a Sunday morning ;)

What do you mean by that?

I got all my undercar neons for the Landy from Halfrauds, oh also the alloy gearstick, sub and big bore exhaust.

;)

Talk to Margnor in Jacobswell, just outside of guildford. They hold virtually every fastener under the sun in stock, so you should get what you need.

Enjoy

Mark

Thanks Mark, that is perfect.

Before I order some in, are there any other sizes that are standard around the landy that I should keep a stock of?

/Mad

78248 is a LR part number for rivet 3/16" x 0,45" long

RA612373L is rivet 3/16" x 0.575" long

RA601183 is rivet 5/32" x 0.335" long

RU608313L is rivet 1/8" x 0.482" long

RU610243 is rivet pop aluminium

RA612103 is rivet

there the most used on 90/110 Defender range of vehicles. :D

Apologies for hitching a ride on this thread, I'm short of a threaded rivet to fit a set of front lamp guards to my 110 and would like to use the same rivets to fix some chequer plate on top of the front wings. I'd also like to get a tool for fixing them as I had mixed success with the Heath Robinson approach the Genuine Parts lamp guard kit takes...due to my ineptitude I admit!

Can anyone help me to order the right rivets and a tool for fixing them?

Thanks,

Phil.

Talk to Margnor in Jacobswell, just outside of guildford. They hold virtually every fastener under the sun in stock, so you should get what you need.

You should also consider Dunsfold Land Rovers in, er, Dunsfold, which isn't very far from you. Masters of pretty much everything Land Rover and great for finding the less common/obscure parts. Not the cheapest in the world, of course, but very handy to have them so close.