ABS Help/Advice Needed

V8RRC

Hi All,

I am after a bit of advice regarding ABS faults!

At work we have a 1997 (p-reg) 300 tdi xs Discovery which the ABS was working fine on but one day while out on a job with a 16ft trailer in tow the ABS light decieded to come on & stay on!

After being cautious during the rest of the journey & returning to the yard it was obvious that the ABS was not working!

After some messing about it was noticed that the stop light were also not working, so after investigation the 4 pin brake light switch turned out to be faulty.

I see looking at the diagram 2 pins do the stop lights & 2 pins go to the ABS unit.

The switch has now been replaced but the light still stays on & no ABS!

From what we can see all the ABS sensors are seated ok!

So does anyone have any ideas on what the fault could be? or since the switch has been replaced does the system need to be reset? & if so is there a way of doing this without going to a main stealer?

Thanks for any help or advice!

Regards,

You can get an independent to read the codes then see what is wrong

The sensors are the same as used on Trucks and can be had for nearly a 3rd of the L/r cost

just get the Wabco part number from the sensor.

We had a sensor go open circuit on Vals old Discovery

Don't know if it is the same system as a RRC, but you can check fault codes using a "blink test".

Should be in the tech archive I think.

If not, search for an ABS post by Geoff Beaumont.

Saved me a pretty penny with my ABS.

Thanks for the input guys!

Bish I believe Tony is correct in saying it is a later system! I had looked at Geoff's ABS write up & it does not seem the same! <_<

We will have to try a local independent & get the code(s) read!

Thanks Again,

A friend diagnosed the ABS fault on there "M" reg disco using the paper clip method. We then put the fault code into google & found the fault. Turned out to be one of the wheel sensors need replacing. Even told us which one.