OT Trailer question

Night Train

This is a bit OT but it is my next project.

I want to build a pole trailer for work that I can use closed as a short open box trailer and extended as a timber trailer. It will have a max weight of around a ton as a short box but only about 400kg as a long timber trailer.

Closed it will be about 3m overall length and fully extended it will be about 5.5m overall length.

Does anyone know if there is any reason why I might not be able to build one under UK legislation?

It will need brakes and I am working on how to do that with an extending pole and the pole will need to be strong enough to take the loading. With it extended I will need to keep to the maximum nose weight of 60kg on the hitch when loaded.

Thank you,

NT

This is a bit OT but it is my next project.

I want to build a pole trailer for work that I can use closed as a short open box trailer and extended as a timber trailer. It will have a max weight of around a ton as a short box but only about 400kg as a long timber trailer.

Closed it will be about 3m overall length and fully extended it will be about 5.5m overall length.

Does anyone know if there is any reason why I might not be able to build one under UK legislation?

It will need brakes and I am working on how to do that with an extending pole and the pole will need to be strong enough to take the loading. With it extended I will need to keep to the maximum nose weight of 60kg on the hitch when loaded.

Thank you,

NT

I could be wrong but I thought the nose weight was suppose to be 25kg. I know we have all loaded more that that but by law I was under the impression it should be no more than 25kg

I could be wrong but I thought the nose weight was suppose to be 25kg. I know we have all loaded more that that but by law I was under the impression it should be no more than 25kg

I use a Skoda Octavia for work and the technical specifications say that the maximum nose weight is 60kg and the maximum trailer weight is 1300kg braked, 500kg unbraked.

According to NTTA the minimum nose weight should be 50kg.

With the drawbar extended nose weight wouldn't be a problem, it will be more of an issue to not over load the hitch. I can get about 3/4 of the trailer length in front of the axle.

Can anyone see any problems with the drawbar being extendable?

we've got an extendable draw bar on one of the boat trailers. never had any problem with it, but then it's not been on the road much.

Saves dunking the tow vehicle in the water when launching/recovering.

Was that made or bought that way?

I've just not seen or heard of extendable car sized trailers in the UK, seems to be an American thing.