where to place an ARB compressor ?

jericho

Its time to fit an ARB locker and High output compressor in my pickup/truckcab.

I dont want the compressor in the cab with me due to lack of space and noise,so ideally I would put it on the wheelbox in the rear tub.Is this sensible?

Should I protect it from the weather? Put it in a box?

What do others do?

In a Disco I just bought for parts it was behind the rear seats, not covered. Don't think you should cover it up too much because of cooling? But leaving it out in the open on a pickup wouldn't be my choice also.

In m'n Defender I'll be mounting it below the passenger seat, next to my Webasto heater.

I had mine mounted in the rear tub, went through 2 x ARB compressors, motors kept seizing up - i think water runs through where the wires go into the motor. It'd probably be fine in a box or in the cab.

Now replaced with Sanden A/C pump which takes it's air feed from the snorkel.

This thread has given me thought to how waterproof these little pumps are , and as mine is situated behind the passenger seat and not much space to put it anywhere else sensible it made me a tad concerned

After a truckful of water at one of James` recent events I had a near miss with the compressor , I did this

PICT0164.jpg

Sealed the motor and the crank housing with a quality RtV sealant , Shrink wrapped a rtv filled sleeve around the wiring harness , Cut an m14 thread into the inlet and fitted a 12mm coupling with extended pipe with a filter that extends up to the top of the seat headrest , Fitted a 1/8 bsp 5mm coupling with extended breather to the crankcase .

Ive checked the amp draw before and after the breathers fitted and there is no change so i guess the breather is not makeing the pump work harder .